Asking yourself “What is the best OBD2 Scanner on the market?“. Then you’ve landed on the right page.
In this review, I’ll walk you through the 20 Best OBD2 Scanners/Code Readers on the market in 2019.
There are thousands of OBD2 Scan Tools available on the market. Then, it can be a bit tricky for you to choose the one which is perfect for you in every respect. This review will help you take the best car code reader for yourself.
Most of the OBD2 scan tools in this article are cheap OBD2 Scanners and they are the best car code readers in the market.
But which OBD scanner is the best?
Below is the Editor’s Top 3 Picks of the Best OBDII Scanners for you:
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Top 3 Best OBD2 Scanners Comparison Chart
- 2 Best OBD2 Scanners / Car Code Readers Review
- 2.1 1BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool
- 2.2 2ANCEL AD410 Vehicle Code Reader for O2 and Evap Test
- 2.3 3Autel AutoLink AL319 Engine Fault OBD2/CAN OBD2 Car Code Reader
- 2.4 4JDiag JD101 Check Engine Light Car Code Reader with Battery Test
- 2.5 5Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool with Mode 6
- 2.6 6FOXWELL NT301 MIL Universal OBD2 Car Scanner
- 2.7 7Innova 3100j ABS SRS EVAP OBD2 Scanner with Freeze Frame Data
- 2.8 8Autel MaxiLink ML619 ABS/SRS/MIL CAN OBD2 Scanner
- 2.9 9Launch CRP129 OBD2 Automotive Diagnostic Tool for Mechanics
- 2.10 10Autel MaxiCOM MK808 All System and Service Functions OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool
- 2.11 11Launch X431 Creader 3001 OBD2 Scanner for Check Engine Light O2 Sensor Systems
- 3 The Bottom Line
Editor’s Top 3 Best OBD2 Scanners Comparison Chart
Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD2 Code Reader
ANCEL AD410 Vehicle Code Reader for O2 and Evap Test
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android
4.4 / 5
4.3 / 5
4.4 / 5
|Check I/M readiness status||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Built-in DTC lookup library||N/A||Yes||Yes|
|ABS, SRS, Transmission Diagnostics||N/A||N/A||Yes|
|Bottom Line||If you want to save money while diagnosing problems with your car, then this is a suitable tool.||Ancel AD410 is one of the best car code readers for beginners and ordinary car owners.||Bludriver is excellent for DIYers and average car owners.|
Let’s start NOW with the detailed review of the 20 Best OBD2 Scan Tools updated January 2019.
Best OBD2 Scanners / Car Code Readers Review
1BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool
The BlueDriver kit is a tad bit expensive than other scanners. But it goes beyond basic scanners to show recalls and dynamic data, and offer repair suggestions.
BlueDriver has an amazing 32-foot range, and its app is available on both Android and iOS platforms.
Its Freeze Frame feature delivers a slice of data. Moreover, the app can display speed, engine RPMs, and other data as numbers or graphics gauges.
It performs pre-inspection emissions checking and interprets the specialty codes for Detroit’s big three automakers, BMW/Mini and Toyota vehicles.
Nissan’s codes are being added. It can count engine misfires on many newer cars, and the reports can be saved as PDFs.
- Can read and clear CEL codes
- Can read and clear enhanced codes: like ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.
- Repair Reports: Code Definition, Possible Causes, Reported Fixes
- Freeze Frame: Allows vehicle snapshot once a code is stored
- Mode 6: Advanced test results (like misfire counts)
- Smog Check: Check if the car is ready for a smog test
- Live Data: Display multiple PIDs as a graph, gauge, or digital readout
- The computerized voice can be annoying at times.
- It doesn’t support the Windows phone as it supports only iOS/Android.
- The layout is a little confusing.
Who is it for?
BlueDrive quickly detectes car’ fault, erased it and turns off the check engine light. This is definitely the best OBD2 scanner in 2018 for DIYand comes at a relatively affordable price.
2ANCEL AD410 Vehicle Code Reader for O2 and Evap Test
Why Buying ANCEL AD410?
Primarily as an OBD2 scan tool, the Ancel AD410 is meant to cover most vehicles made from 1996 to date. It works on most OBD2 compliant vehicles sold in the USA, whether they are locally made or foreign.
ANCEL AD410 is a handy scanner for the basic diagnostic functions. The affordable OBD2 Scanner can read and clear engine codes. Additionally, it can trigger the O2 sensor and EVAP sensor tests.
Despite the limited functionality, the Ancel AD410 does display live data from a vehicle’s engine system.
- Compatible with a wide variety of OBD2 vehicles.
- Excellent for turning Check Engine Light off
- A multilingual menu consisting of English, French, Spanish, German, Russian etc.
- Supports O2 and EVAP tests
- Built with a large, clear and color display
- Can save and print diagnostic reports
- Doesn’t give sufficient description of codes
- Only supports engine diagnostics
- Possible vehicle compatibility problem
Who is it built for?
The Ancel AD410 is a low-cost and accurate scanner, which makes it one of the best car code readers for beginners and ordinary car owners.
It’s nowhere near as great as professional diagnostic tools but it will help you turn the Check Engine Light off and run emission tests.
3Autel AutoLink AL319 Engine Fault OBD2/CAN OBD2 Car Code Reader
Autel Al319 is exactly the best OBDII scanner to be used for basic diagnostic purposes. It supports various functions and helps diagnose and solve problems quickly.
AL319 is an amazing OBD2 scanner which helps to turn off Check Engine Light (CEL/MIL), clear DTV codes and reset monitors. It also displays monitor andI/M readiness status. With Autel Al319, you can easily retrievevehicle information (VIN, CIN, and CVN).
Autel AL319 OBD2 code scanner works on all vehicles from 1996 onwards (OBD II & CAN).
- It has the unique One-Click I/M Readiness Key.
- It doesn’t need any batteries or charger.
- OBDII Data Link Connector supplies power to this tool.
- There is a built-in speaker and brightly colored LEDs.
- They are helpful in readiness verification both visually and audibly.
- There is a one year warranty on this device.
- The 2-inch color screen with its bright graphics.
- It is not able to explain what the error codes mean
- It cannot display live operating data.
- The 2-foot cord is too short to reach the engine compartment
- Reset functions like airbag reset and SRS are not available
Who is it built for?
If you want to save money while diagnosing problems with your car, then Autel AL319 is the best cheap OBD2 Scanner you should take. It found car’s faults like a charm, erased them and turned off the MIL.
4JDiag JD101 Check Engine Light Car Code Reader with Battery Test
Why Buying JDiag JD101?
The JDiag JD101 costs less than what you will pay just to get a diagnostic report from the shop. It really is the definition of a budget OBD2 scanner.
This car code reader can work on most 1996 and newer US-based as well as 2000 and newer EU & Asian-made vehicles.
The JDiag JD101 is an excellent scan tool for reading engine codes. This cheap OBD2 scan tool actually provides very accurate diagnostic data. You can totally rely on it whenever your Check Engine Light comes on.
It can also run I/M readiness and battery tests, which will help you keep the vehicle in a very good condition.
This affordable OBD2 scan tool has a live data mode that lets you know the status of your battery, voltage and calibration ID. You can also view freeze frame data and the vehicle’s information (VIN, CIN, and CVN).
- Built with a large and clear LCD display
- Palm-sized for easy portability
- A multilingual menu that includes English, Germany, Spanish, French, Russian etc.
- Excellent at reading and clearing engine codes
- Can also retrieve vehicle information
- The display is not color
- It also didn’t come with a USB cable (for updating).
- Offers very basic diagnostic functions (doesn’t even pull ABS, SRS and transmission codes.)
- Doesn’t work on as many vehicles as claimed by JDiag
Who is it built for?
Despite the few flaws, the JDiag JD101 is overall one of the best cheap OBD2 Scanners. It is particularly good value for ordinary car owners and beginners.
You won’t spend much on it but it offers just enough functions to diagnose the Check Engine Light, test emissions and retrieve a vehicle’s info.
5Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool with Mode 6
Autel Autolink AL519 is a hand-held diagnostic tool for cars that offers many functionalities and is a good for DIYers. With this Autel scan tool, you can perform component tests, O2 sensor tests etc.
Why Choose Autel Al519 auto diagnostic tool?
Autel AL519 offers reading and clearing codes, live data, I/M status, o2 monitor test, component test, displays vehicle information, freeze frame data, on-board monitor test, and module information.
This automobile diagnostic tool displays code along with the definition of the cause. This eliminates the need to Google the problem. Hence your time is saved, making it the best car diagnostic tool.
It supports almost all 1996 and newer vehicles (OBDII & CAN) vehicles.
- 6 feet cord.
- No lagging or freezing.
- Shows real-time graph data.
- Takes only 10 seconds to boot.
- The rubber casing may make it difficult to connect the device.
- Notifications stay for 3 seconds only.
- Registration can be an issue/Doesn’t update.
Who Is It Built For?
This Autel scan tool is good for car owners who want their obd2 readers to perform quickly. It’s the best car diagnostic tool due to the ease it offers.
6FOXWELL NT301 MIL Universal OBD2 Car Scanner
Foxwell NT301 is small and light and has a 2.4-inch color screen. It has the ability to export data and can update its software.
FOXWELL NT301 is a User-Friendly OBD2 Code Reader that offers Life-long Free Online Upgrade and Printing via PC.
The red LED shows the existing faults while yellow LED indicates the pending problems. Similarly, green means that there is no existing fault.
It takes 6 seconds for the scanner to retrieve the car’s VIN code and the parameters of the car.
It is compatible with worldwide cars, SUVs, light truck and 12V diesel equipped with OBD2.
It supports data logging feature and has the ability to record and review log.
- This scanner has an O2 sensor
- It can turn off CEL, reset the monitor
- It is able to read enhanced data.
- This OBD2 scanner can quickly read and erase DTC.
- The reason behind the CEL can be determined.
- This scanner can only be updated on a Windows system.
- It can only work on OBDII systems.
- It can’t work on ABS/airbag/oil service light, etc.
Who is it for?
There is no need for a battery since it is charged directly from the OBDII car scanner interface in your vehicle.
Thus, it is extremely convenient for DIY-ers and home mechanics.But it is more complicated than what an amateur mechanic could figure out.
7Innova 3100j ABS SRS EVAP OBD2 Scanner with Freeze Frame Data
A simple and affordable OBD2 scan tool, the INNOVA 3100j allows you to diagnose your car’s problems. It accesses onboard systems safely and reads codes.
With the help of Innova 3100j works for any 1996 and newer OBD2 cars, light trucks, SUVs, and hybrids.
- Can read and clear ABS & SRS DTC codes.
- Added features of battery & alternator tests
- Can check the vehicle’s charging system.
- The oil reset feature is never easy like that with the step-by-step reset procedures.
- The free updates ensure that the tools are always up-to-date.
- The instructions for the code reader are pretty vague.
- There is an associated subscription fee to access the site.
- Slow response time during operation
Who is it for?
This scanner is designed with easy handheld and easy to operate. It is suitable for DIYersand average car owners.
8Autel MaxiLink ML619 ABS/SRS/MIL CAN OBD2 Scanner
Autel MaxiLink ML619 OBD2 scanne is a good OBD2 scanner for reading and clearing faults on ABS and airbag systems.
Moreover, it is perfect for performing OBDII diagnostics too. With the help of Autel MaxiLink ML619, you can find the cause of the Check Engine light and then work on it.
This OBD2 scanner diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996. It also works on newer major vehicle models including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, VW, Mercedes, BMW, etc.
- It helps to turn off the CEL and ABS/SRS warning lights.
- It retrieves generic, manufacturer specific codes and pending codes.
- Views freeze frame data
- Reads, stores, and playbacks live PCM data stream and live sensor data
- Graphs data
- Prints data via PC
- can be updated and upgraded using the Internet.
- For models before 2002, you need an additional connector cable.
- It doesn’t support MAC OS.
- It doesn’t work for electric cars which can be a nuisance in itself.
Who is it for?
If you have a vehicle model compatible with this OBDII scan tool and you don’t want to spend too much, then the ML619 is a good choice.
9Launch CRP129 OBD2 Automotive Diagnostic Tool for Mechanics
The Launch CRP 129 is an OBD2 scanner with many functions. It works for the most important car systems. Engine System, ABS, Transmission System, and SRS are the four systems that Launch CRP129 can perform thorough diagnosis. The OBD2 scan tool also offers 3 reset functions for EPB, SAS, and Oil Service Light
Launch CRP129 has an advanced system output and graphics display with OBDII Data Stream.
It makes the analysis of diagnostic information relatively easy while you are repairing and adjusting the vehicle.
This reader works on most OBD2 US-based vehicles.
- It has a one year manufacturer’s warranty. You can access all the latest updates online.
- Applicable for most vehicles which match OBDII standard after 1996
- Supports all ten test modes of OBDII
- Reads and clear DTC
- Supports online upgrade
- Launch CRP129 cannot work on diesel trucks but can work for some 12v diesel vehicles.
- It needs an additional BENZ 38 pin connector and BMW 20 pin connector
- Does not show any emissions information
Who is it for?
This is an automotive Diagnostic Tool for mechanics and professionals. It can diagnose tens of vehicles within an hour, though that depends on your activeness.
10Autel MaxiCOM MK808 All System and Service Functions OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool
Autel MaxiCOM MK808 has a large variety of functions available. These include oil reset and EPB/BMS/SAS/ DPF. All these are very important and useful for the safe and efficient maintenance of systems.
Since this OBDII scan tool is equipped with built-in batteries, you don’t have to install batteries. The MK808 started to communicate with cars automatically and recognized it too.
Moreover, with a Wi-Fi connection, there is no USB or card reader needed for updating the software. You get a one-year warranty and 12-months free update period too.
MaxiCOM MK808 works on most 1996 US-based, 2000 EU-based and newer vehicles.
It performs the full system’s diagnosis including reading and clearing of the codes and viewing live data. It can check the health status of various vehicle parts.
- The buttons are designed at the edge of the device.
- It is well laid out for easy navigation.
- The touchscreen can also give you a quick response.
- This MK808 does not need to be connected to a computer to display information.
- Supports various functions like TPMS service and IMMO functions
- Displays sensor IDs from the vehicle’s ECU
- Registers sensors to the vehicle
- It isn’t the fastest to scan and connect.
- If a module doesn’t connect or return a signal, it will return a misdiagnosis.
- Doesn’t allow coding, adaptation, or actuation
Who is it for?
It is an OBDII scanner for professional car enthusiasts, and it is not a gadget to be kept at home. Rather, it is designed for professionals and is mostly used in car repair shops.
11Launch X431 Creader 3001 OBD2 Scanner for Check Engine Light O2 Sensor Systems
Launch X431 Creader 3001 OBD2 Scanner for Check Engine Light O2 Sensor Systems
Launch X431 Creader 3001 can both read and clear codes while also explaining the code. It can perform a variety of tests including O2, EVAP, and on-board monitor test.
This product is a plug and play device suitable for beginners because it is a breeze to use with no complicated controls or features. You can diagnose your car and determine the cause of MIL and turn it off.
This OBDII scanner will read trouble codes related to your car’s evaporative emission control system and tell you if something’s wrong with it. Which can detect issues such as leaks and temperature issues?
Auto code readers in this price range hardly offer lots of features but this one does. Launch X431 Creader 3001 offers features such as freeze frame, I/M readiness, DTC lookup, live data, and O2 sensor test. Moreover, it can also read vehicle information.
This OBD2 code reader is quite easy to use. Because it has four buttons help you scroll through options, enter or exit a feature.
The size is portable, therefore, you won’t face any issues traveling with it or keeping it plugged into your car.
This is one of the best OBD2 scanners because it supports almost all vehicles that are manufactured in or after 1996. It supports all 5 major protocols as well.
No charger or battery needed as it powers on when plugged into the OBD2 port.
- 2-year warranty and 100% money back guarantee.
- Not require any software upgrade to connect.
- It supports both OBDI and OBDII cars (obd1 cable needs to be bought separately).
- The cable is 2.5 feet and properly insulated.
- Doesn’t support JOBD cars.
- Doesn’t offer ABS codes.
Who Is It For?
The Bottom Line
In the above article, we have discussed the features and the pros and cons of the best OBD2 scanners in the market today.
If you’re an ordinary car owner and want to turn off the Check Engine Light, take Autel Al319.
For Professional Mechanics, a diagnostic tool with full-system functions as Autel MK808 would suit you.
You can compare the scanners and choose the one which tailors your needs and demands perfectly. Keep your car in perfect condition with the best OBDII scanners available!
Read more: Best OBD1 Scanners Review