What is the best professional car diagnostic tool / automotive diagnostic scanner in 2019? Read this honest review and take one for your vehicle.
A Professional Car Diagnostic Tool / Automotive Diagnostic Scanner is built to perform the most advanced functions on various cars, trucks, SUVs, etc. with the most reliability and accuracy.
In this review, you will find the Reviews of the 15 Best Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanners / Car Diagnostic Tools in the market 2019.
It’s advised to take ones that suit your need and pocket the best.
Bonus: If you prefer an affordable OBD2 scan tool for your car, take one from my Honest Review and Buying Guide for the Best OBD2 Scanners 2019 NOW.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Professional Car Diagnostic Tool: Editor’s Top 3 Picks Comparison Chart
- 2 Recommendation
- 3 Best Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner/Car Diagnostic Tool Reviews
- 3.1 1. Launch X431 V+ Professional Car Diagnostic Tool
- 3.2 2. BlueDriver LBS2 Vehicle Diagnostic Tool [for iOS & Android]
- 3.3 3. Autel MaxiCOM MK808 Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner
- 3.4 4. Autel MaxiDAS DS808K Professional Car Diagnostic Scan Tool
- 3.5 5. Autel Maxisys MS906BT Professional Vehicle Diagnostic Tool with ECU Coding
- 3.6 6. FOXWELL NT301 Professional Enhanced OBDII Auto Scanner
- 3.7 7. Autel MaxiDAS DS808 Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool with Key Coding
- 3.8 8. Autel MaxiCOM MK908P Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner
- 3.9 9. Launch CRP129 Car Diagnostic Tool for Enthusiasts
- 3.10 10. Launch X431 PROS Mini Wifi Professional Car Diagnostic Tool
Best Professional Car Diagnostic Tool: Editor’s Top 3 Picks Comparison Chart
I highly recommend the following 3 professional automotive scan tools for you.
|Editor's Pick||Best Affordable||Also Great|
Launch X431 V+
Autel MaxiCOM MK808
4.3 / 5
4.4 / 5
4.3 / 5
|Product Dimensions||13.8 x 5.9 x 9.8 inches||2.2 x 1.9 x 1 inches||9.4 x 1.4 x 5.9 inches|
|Weight||13.23 pounds||3.2 pounds||5.65 pounds|
|Full OBDII Test Modes||✔||✔||✔|
|ABS, SRS, Engine, Transmission Diagnostics||✔||✔||✔|
|Oil Reset, EPB, BMS, SAS, DPF, TPMS Relearn||✔||✖||✔|
|Bottom Line||Launch X431 V+ is a car diagnostic tool / key programmer built for mechanics who want to take full control of OBD2 vehicles.||Bluedriver is an excellent pick for DIY people who prefer mobility while performing the diagnostics.||Autel MK808 is ideal for home mechanics or professionals who want to perform advanced functions such as DPF, IMMO, ABS, SRS, TPMS, etc.|
Best Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner/Car Diagnostic Tool Reviews
1. Launch X431 V+ Professional Car Diagnostic Tool
Launch X431 V Plus offers ECU coding and works as a great key programmer. With this feature, you can control the engine functions by using input sensors.
In addition, it offers 11 advanced service functions, full system diagnosis, and various diagnostic tests.
The 11 Special Functions are:
- Oil Reset Service
- Steering Angle Calibration
- Electronic Parking Brake Reset
- Battery Register
- Battery Maintenance
- ABS Bleeding
- Electronic Throttle Position Reset / Learn
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration
- Tire Pressure Monitor System Reset
- Tooth Learning
- Anti-theft Matching / Key Programming
Launch X431 V Plus automotive diagnostic scan tool runs on Android 5.1 system and operates with a 7000 mAh battery that lasts 6-7 hours. It also has a 5mp camera.
This automotive scanner supports over 68 car brands and more than 220 vehicles (US, Europe, and Asian) that are OBD2 compliant. It has also Bluetooth connectivity for your convenient mobility.
The box of Launch X431 V Plus contains 1 tablet, 1 Bluetooth OBDII Connector Power Cable (Lighter), 1 Bluetooth OBDII Connector Power Cable (Battery), 1 User Manual, 1 DBScar II Bluetooth OBDII Connector, 1 OBDII Extension Cable, 14 OBDII Connection Adapters, 6 Non-OBD II Connection Adapters, 1 Power Cable.
The downside of Launch X431 V Plus is that it is a bit complicated for beginners since it handles too many advanced car functionalities. Also, it is not a budget-friendly product.
- Anti-theft matching.
- Active Test (test car components quickly and shows results).
- Built-in camera to record videos and send to tech team to get support.
- Grease and water-resistant.
- 10.1-inch screen, 16GB memory, and 1.4 GHz processor.
- Free updates from WiFi but for 2 years only.
Launch X431 V Plus is a car diagnostic tool / key programmer built for mechanics who want to take full control of OBD2 vehicles. The automotive diagnostic tool offers solutions to the most complex problems in a simple way.
However, you must have prior knowledge about cars to be able to use this professional automotive diagnostic scanner.
2. BlueDriver LBS2 Vehicle Diagnostic Tool [for iOS & Android]
Bluedriver OBD2 Scanner can diagnose, read and clear DTC codes. It also helps to perform OBDII tests.
The Mode 6 feature of Blue Driver lets you test various sensors and access information in real-time.
Besides, Bluedriver OBDII car scanner can read transmission and SRS codes, conduct fuel system test and check I/M readiness.
Bluedriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool is exceptional when it comes to providing fixes for problems. Its DTC library contains more than 30 million repair fixes out of which 6.6 million are verified.
Bluedriver car scanner tool works with vehicles made in 1996 and after (North America), 2001 and newer (gas) and 2004 and newer (diesel) European cars.
It supports all major protocols:
- SAE J1850 PWM,
- ISO 9141-2,
- ISO 1430-4 KWP,
- SAE J1850 VPW,
- and ISO 15765-4 CAN.
The Bluedriver app is free and works well on both iOS and Android devices.
- Flashlight to use it in the dark.
- Copy or share the data with a professional to get help.
- Pull live accurate data (engine oil temp, pressure, fuel usage, etc.)
- Doesn’t run on battery.
- Free App.
- The device won’t work without a phone.
- Doesn’t support advanced features such as oil reset.
3. Autel MaxiCOM MK808 Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner
Autel MaxiCOM MK808 performs most advanced functions a mechanic need from a professional automotive scanner including BMS, EPB, SAS, ABS, TPMS, Key Programming, DPF, and Oil Reset.
The option of using a WiFi connection to download updates and transfer data eliminates the need to get an SD card or attach a cable.
With MK808 you can also do SRS test, fuel system diagnosis, emission tests, ABS light test, light systems, and all common OBD2 scanner functions.
This professional car diagnostic tool has a built-in Android system (KitKat) and can work well on most 1996 and newer US-based and 2000 and newer EU based OBD2 supported vehicles.
The downside of Autel MK808 Diagnostic Tool is that it doesn’t offer ECU programming and coding.
- 1-year warranty.
- A9 processor runs and processes tests quickly.
- Technology support from Autel tech team.
- Easy to use. Plug the tablet into the OBD2 connector to use.
- Comes with a charger.
- Doesn’t support ECU programming.
- TPMS doesn’t work on Toyota Highlander, 2009 Jetta, and some other models.
- IMMO function doesn’t work on Benz.
Autel MK808 auto diagnostic tool is ideal for professionals who want to perform advanced functions such as DPF, IMMO, ABS, SRS, TPMS reset, etc. It is quite affordable and has many good features for mechanics and enthusiasts.
4. Autel MaxiDAS DS808K Professional Car Diagnostic Scan Tool
Autel MaxiDAS DS808K is a full-system and full-service automotive diagnostic scanner. It offers a vast variety of functions any mechanic would expect. Moreover, it can perform all OBDII test modes.
Some of the service functions of this automotive scanner/key programmer include:
- Calibrate weight sensor
- Perform active tests
- Relearn crankshaft position
- Reset window
- Cycle the ABS system to evacuate air
- Reset/ relearn the idle TPS system
- Adjust idle/ Relearn idle
- Bleed ABS pump/ ABS bleeding brake
- Reset transmission CVIs
- Retrieve ECU information
- Bi-directional control ability
- Key programming
- Injector coding
- Power-balance test
- Leak-down test
Autel MaxiDAS DS808K has a Cloud-based management system with which you can arrange, store and view scanner data, codes, and reports.
Another good point is that this professional automotive key programmer supports WiFi and printing tasks.
The battery of DS808K is 3200 mAh which provides 4.5 hours of constant use.
The automotive diagnostic scanner comes in a professional suitcase that contains the scanner tool, main cable, USB cable with charging adapter, user manual and 11 OBD2 connectors for different brands.
The plus point, Autel DS808K supports more than 80 US, Asian and European car models and also supports other electronic systems.
- Auto VIN technology.
- 1-year warranty and free lifetime updates.
- 5.1 Android system.
- 1.5 GHz processor and 32 GB memory
- Autel technical support available.
- ECU Coding feature might not work in a few models.
Autel DS808K diagnostic tool is for professionals and mechanics who want to perform many functions and services on vehicles. Moreover, it can be of great help thanks to the technical support offered by the company.
5. Autel Maxisys MS906BT Professional Vehicle Diagnostic Tool with ECU Coding
This scanner is superior to Autel Maxisys MS906 as it has some functions which MS906 does not have. For example, Autel MS906BT:
- Can support oscilloscope
- Has an in-built digital camera for inspecting
- Supports ultra-long distance blue-tooth transmission
- Comes with an added USB port and HDMI port
- Is more compact in size
MaxiSys MS906BT is the recent addition to the MaxiSys product line of wireless diagnostic devices.
The Autel MS906BT diagnostic tool utilizes a powerful processor. Plus, it has an 8-inch HD touchscreen and strong wireless communication.
The car diagnostic tool is based on the Android operating system featured with the best possible coverage of OE-level diagnostics. It also supports ECU coding capability and works as a professional key programmer.
It is an extensive diagnostic scanner and code reader. It can offer complete system coverage for more than 80 US domestic, Asian and European makes and models.
- The MaxiSys MS906BT supports over 15 service functions
- Pretty straightforward to use
- Frequent updates to make the tool running efficiently
- Boots up very quickly
- It is wireless, providing more flexibility
- Provides good coverage
- It needs a long time to be recharged.
With advanced functions, the Autel MaxiSys MS906BT is a professional car diagnostic tool for professional mechanics. So, if you want a professional OBD2 scanner to help you with car problems, this is the one.
6. FOXWELL NT301 Professional Enhanced OBDII Auto Scanner
Foxwell NT301 is an engine diagnostic tool that lets you perform many basic OBD2 features such as check engine light, malfunction indicator lamp, check and erase engine fault codes, VIN, etc.
You can perform a variety of basic functionalities from this OBD2 diagnostic tool including fuel pressure, fuel trim, I/M readiness, freeze frame, engine coolant temp, and RPM, O2 sensor, air conditioning refrigerant monitor, and exhaust gas recirculation system monitor test.
Foxwell NT301 lets you retrieve information from the ECU. It will help you diagnose problems in the gas cap, oxygen sensor, air-fuel ratio sensor, mass air flow sensor, etc.
Foxwell NT301 supports all US and European brands (1996 and newer) and all five major protocols as well.
- Extensive DTC definitions.
- Internet updateable.
- Lifetime free updates
- 1-year money-back guarantee and lifetime free updates.
- No advanced functions such as the airbag system, battery check.
- Only updates on Windows.
- No Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity.
Foxwell NT301 is only made for car owners and DIYers because it doesn’t offer advanced options. However, the guarantee is one of its biggest assets, making it one of the best car diagnostic tools for many.
7. Autel MaxiDAS DS808 Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool with Key Coding
Autel MaxiDAS DS808 is considered to be the best car diagnostic tool for many reasons. You can identify complex problems, perform advanced tests, and even receive ECU information on this device.
This car diagnostic scanner lets you perform active tests, retrieve information from the ECU, perform matching/adaptation, offers bi-directional control, ABS, SRS, SAS, DPF, EPB, TPMS, key coding, and oil reset.
AutelMaxiDAS 808 operates on a cloud-based management system on which you can input, store, arrange, and view scanner data, codes, and reports.
This auto diagnostic tool also lets you update via WiFi. The scanner can run for at least 4.5 hours on a full battery.
Autel DS808 supports more than 80 US, Asian, and European car models (1996 and newer) that are obd2 compliant and also supports other electronic systems.
- Supports BMW battery (Resetting as well).
- 1-year warranty and free lifetime updates.
- Auto VIN technology.
- Works with diesel models, too.
- Stores diagnostic history.
- Doesn’t have a complete OBDI adapter (buy separately).
- Key coding doesn’t work in some models such as 2012 Ford Edge.
- No Bluetooth connectivity.
Autel MaxiDAS DS808 is the best professional car diagnostic tool in the list. Professionals and mechanics can use this professional car diagnostic scanner to solve both simple and complex issues.
8. Autel MaxiCOM MK908P Professional Automotive Diagnostic Scanner
Benz and BMW J2534 Programming
Autel MaxiCOM MK908P can effectively reflash the control modules of your vehicles. As a result, you will be able to reflash and update your vehicle’s onboard computer software.
Subsequently, you can choose to reprogram specific adaptive data for some components. This is particularly important after replacing some parts or after performing repairs. This scanner also allows you to download new software. It can help you accurately reprogram the software to match your ECU system.
Stepwise Advanced diagnosis
Autel MaxiCOM MK908P comes with on-screen diagnostic instructions. It also provides stepwise instructions. These instructions will guide you on what to do next. It allows you to perform oil reset and SAS calibration. TPMS programming and ABS/SRS functions are also available.
You can also perform anti-theft matching, reset procedures, DPF regeneration and turn off check engine lights. Therefore, Autel MaxiCOM MK908P offers an all-in-one diagnostic solution for your car.
Instant Remote Support
Autel MaxiCOM MK908P scan tool has three support platforms. Firstly, data logging is the platform that allows you to get repair and diagnostic services directly from the manufacturer.
The second platform is the FAQ database that allows you to browse through questions. You also can check their answers.
Finally, the last support platform is the training channels. This platform is designed to play videos stored within the scan tool.
You will notice that it is compatible with 80 US, EU, and Asian vehicles. It also can diagnose both OBDI and OBD2 vehicles.
- Has excellent support services
- Make a fast diagnosis
- Has stepwise on-screen instructions.
- Large colored screen
- Has digital camera and flashlights.
- It also has an oscilloscope for deeper analysis.
- You incur additional cost on updates
- It is not WiTech 2.0 capable
- Sometimes loses communication with VW and Audio.
- May gets slow when you connected to the Internet
The Autel MaxiCOM MK908P Automotive Diagnostic Scanner is built for professional auto mechanics who are working at repair shops. It can perform not only basic but also advanced functions accurately.
9. Launch CRP129 Car Diagnostic Tool for Enthusiasts
Launch CRP129 is one of the best automotive diagnostic tools for home mechanics because it offers advanced functionalities like transmission test, oil reset, SRS, SAS, EPB reset and ABS bleeding beside Full OBDII Test Modes.
Steering Angle Sensor Test is another great feature that the CRP129 auto scan tool offers. It erases previous information on steering sensors when you install a new one to avoid problems.
Other than that, the automotive scanner tells you why your ABS, SRS and airbag lights are on and how to fix such issues.
Launch CRP129 can also perform minor tests and provide fixes. These include reading and erasing DTC codes, CEL codes, oxygen sensor test, carbon canister test, pull live data, etc.
Launch CRP129 not only supports over 40 OBDII (1996 and newer) US-based vehicles but also works on 2000 and newer European vehicles.
This car diagnostic scanner is designed for semi-professionals or home mechanics to perform a few advanced car diagnostic tests. Furthermore, it is also very affordable, which is why many consider as one of the best automotive scan tools.
Launch CRP129 has an intuitive 3.5-inch screen display and is often used by many mechanics for its speedy results.
- SD card slot to save codes.
- Graphical data stream.
- Very fast processing.
- 1-year warranty.
- Easy to update.
- The driver is needed to use it on a computer.
- Doesn’t support MAC.
- Not for older BENZ and BMW (2002 and newer only).
10. Launch X431 PROS Mini Wifi Professional Car Diagnostic Tool
Launch X431 PROS MINI provides a complete solution for automotive diagnosis.
With this Android system automotive scanner, you can do a lot of tasks such as throttle positioning, tire pressure monitoring, resetting parking brakes, oil reset, steering wheel calibration, purge control, injector reset, SRS steering, fuel pump testing, and ABS bleeding.
Some advanced features this automotive diagnostic tool can offer are DPF regeneration, IMMO, Auto Scan, Manual Scan, Data Logging, Battery Reset, Throttle Positioning, Oil Reset, and ABS Bleeding.
Other than that, this Launch diagnostic scan tool can cover all the electronic systems and perform full-OBD2 functions.
Not many scanners come with a camera. This one has two. The front one is a 2mp camera while the rear is a 5mp camera. Moreover, it supports USB 2.0 and there’s also a 3.5mm audio port for headphones. Also, the device can be connected via Bluetooth.
The battery runs for 8 hours straight even though the operating system in the device is Android which is known to consume a lot of battery.
The Launch X-431 PROS Mini Kit covers around 108 US, Asian and European vehicles. It contains 14 connectors to connect the device with EU and Asian car models.
- Free updates for 2 years.
- Has an alarm feature and a camera.
- Offers advanced functionalities.
- Allows internet connectivity through WiFi.
- Does not support some car models.
If you are in search of a professional diagnostic scan tool then Launch X431 PROS MINI is for you.
This professional automotive diagnostic scanner triggers an alarm if you leave the Bluetooth open, runs various kinds of diagnostic tests, and can be used with a phone (with Bluetooth connectivity). Plus, it even has 2 cameras. Its price might be a bit high but it’s worth it.