What’s the best Chrysler scan tool today?
We set out to answer that question in the article below, looking at the features and functions of 5 popular, powerful devices.
If you’re a Chrysler owner and want to know more about your engine, check out the full reviews below to find your new diagnostic tool.
Editor’s Top 3 Picks of Chrysler Scan Tool:
|Editor's Pick||Perfect for Pro||Best Affordable|
4.6 / 5
4.6 / 5
4.4 / 5
|Product Dimensions||2.2" x 1.9" x 1"||10.8" x 8.8" x 3.2"||8.7" x 3.1" x 6.7"|
|Reads Chrysler-specific codes||✔||✔||✔|
|Vehicle Compatibility||1996 and later Chrysler||1996 and later Chrysler||1996 and later gas or diesel Chryslers|
|Upgrade/System Compatibility||iPhone, Android||N/A (direct updates)||Windows|
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Top 3 Picks of Chrysler Scan Tool:
- 2 Best Chrysler Scan Tool
- 3 Software License
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Chrysler Scan Tool
1. BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scanner
BlueDriver is an innovative new way to scan your vehicle for OBDII trouble codes. Rather than a hand-held scanner, the BlueDriver pairs with an app on your smartphone, making it a convenient way to keep an eye on your Chrysler’s diagnoses.
Comprehensive diagnostic power
The BlueDriver has full OBD2 compatibility, supporting all modes and protocols. It can read and clear both basic and enhanced codes for Chrysler vehicles. This goes beyond OBD2 systems to include the brakes, airbags, and more. Along with reading codes, the BlueDriver also defines them and gives you detailed repair suggestions.
Most Chrysler code readers are designed to be plugged in only when you need them. The BlueDriver, though, can stay plugged in full-time—just bring up the app when you need to check codes. BlueDriver’s sleep mode keeps it from draining your battery when you’re parked.
- Reads all generic and manufacturer-specific codes
- Can diagnose many non-OBDII systems
- Provides detailed repair suggestions
- Sleep mode lets you plug it in long-term
- Easy to use, even for non-auto experts
- Wide compatibility across Chrysler model years
- Installs and pairs quickly
- Requires compatible smartphone to use
- Not compatible with 3rd-party diagnostic apps
- No bidirectional communication
2. LAUNCH CRP129E ABS SRS Transmission Reset Tool
Finally, let’s take a look at the Launch CRP129E. The comprehensive service and diagnostic functions make it one of the best Chrysler OBD2 scanners in the non-professional price-point. If you want a Chrysler scan tool for DIY repairs, the Launch CRP129E is what you’re looking for.
Most of these Chrysler scanners didn’t offer 2-way communication, and that’s what sets the Launch CRP129E apart. It includes 5 reset functions: Oil, SAS, EPB, TPMS, and throttle position. These are the most common service resets for Chryslers, so they’ll save you a lot of trips to the mechanic.
The diagnostic capabilities of the CRP129E also go beyond what other scanners can do. Along with full OBD2 modes, modules, and protocols, you’ll get real-time battery monitoring, as well as diagnostics on non-OBD2 systems like the transmission and airbag. All diagnostics can be recorded, stored, and printed.
- 5 reset functions included
- Print and store freeze frame and live data
- The intuitive and user-friendly touch screen interface
- Provides repair tips and suggestions in DTC lookup
- Lifetime upgrades included
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows one-click update directly to the device
- Most expensive option
3. FOXWELL NT301 Professional OBD2 Code Reader
If you’re looking for a more traditional Chrysler code reader, the Foxwell NT301 is one of the best Chrysler OBD2 scanners for drivers on a budget. The NT301 provides all the diagnostic tools the average driver needs at an excellent price.
Enhanced OBD2 diagnostics
The Foxwell NT301 provides accurate and easy to read diagnostic information. It supports all basic OBDII modes and protocols, and then some. Supported OBDII monitors include the EGR system, oxygen sensors, EVAP system, and more—12 systems in all. In addition, you can save and print data from all the tests you run.
The “Help” button the Foxwell NT301 is an easy way to get code definitions. This Chrysler diagnostic software is also very easy to update, and you can use it right out of the box with no drivers or registration required. Even casual car owners will be able to easily use this scanner to diagnose engine problems.
- Most affordable hand-held Chrysler scan tool
- Compatible with both gas and diesel engines
- Screen is easy to read and navigate
- Can record and review past readings
- One-touch I/M readiness key
- Plug-and-play, no registration required
- Can only be updated with Windows systems
- No non-OBD2 diagnostics
4. FIXD OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool for iPhone/ Android
Similar to the BlueDriver, the FIXD Bluetooth scanner does away with the screen, instead of pairing with the FIXD app on your phone. This allows it to provide wide code reading capability and vehicle compatibility for an impressively low price.
FIXD is a comprehensive Chrysler diagnostic tool, capable of reading over 10,000 codes. You’ll get much more than the standard diagnostics with FIXD. Not only can it read Chrysler-specific codes, but it can also even diagnose some non-OBD2 systems, like TPMS and transmission data.
Maintenance and knowledge resources
Many Chrysler scanners give you a DTC look-up function, but FIXD takes it a step further. Through the app, you can connect with certified mechanics who can talk you through repairs and tell you when it’s time to go to the garage. Continuous monitoring also lets you establish a maintenance timeline so you never miss important service.
- More affordable than other Bluetooth scanners
- Provides access to mechanic hotline for help fixing trouble codes
- Reads Chrysler-specific and non-OBD2 codes
- Can leave it plugged in for continuous monitoring
- Syncs to Bluetooth automatically (no tech knowledge required)
- Works with all OBD2 protocols
- Remotely monitors multiple vehicles at once
- Not compatible with 3rd party diagnostic apps
- Won’t work with diesel engines (e.g. 3.0 Eco-Diesel)
5. Autel MaxiLink ML619 CAN OBD2 Scanner
Another excellent option when it comes to a hand-held Chrysler code reader is the Autel MaxiLink ML619. It will read and clear all OBD2 codes, as well as running any OBD2 test mode. The extensive compatibility and addition of reset functions make it a very worthwhile investment.
The Autel ML619 reads both generic and manufacturer-specific codes, as well as pending codes. You can graph, record, and playback live and freeze frame data for a number of systems, not just those supported by OBD2. No matter what code is activating your check engine light, you’ll be able to read and clear it.
The biggest advantage of the ML619 compared to a cheaper Chrysler diagnostic tool is the inclusion of non-OBD2 diagnostic capabilities. This lets you read and clear codes causing airbag or brake warning lights, in addition to the check engine light.
- Wide code reading capability
- Reads, stores, and prints data
- DTC lookup helps you understand the codes
- Supports ABS/SRS diagnosis
- Free updates included with purchase
- Requires Windows system to update
- Often arrives out of date (requires registration/update before using)
The Chrysler diagnostic software at the heart of each of these scanners is proprietary. With the hand-held scanners, the software comes pre-loaded, so you’ll only have to think about it when it’s time for updates.
With BlueDriver and FIXD, most of the software is in the app, not the scanner. You’ll need both parts for it to work correctly. Getting the full capabilities of both may require paid upgrades or subscriptions, so make sure you factor that into your budget.
For our money, the Launch CRP129E is the best Chrysler scan tool. It’s a bit pricier than the other options, but the reset functions it includes are well worth the extra cost. Having said that, all 5 of these Chrysler scanners give in-depth diagnostics and would make a handy addition to your home garage. We hope we’ve helped you find the right tool for your needs!
Why Do I need a Chrysler Scanner?
If you want to do DIY repairs, the answer is obvious. You can’t fix what you don’t know about, and to learn what’s going on in your engine, you need a Chrysler scan tool. Even if you’re not a home mechanic, though, knowing what’s wrong with your vehicle before you go to the garage can be a huge help. The more you know going in, the less likely you’ll be ripped off. This is why the best Chrysler scan tool will save you money in the long run.