The Best Car Battery Charger varies widely in performance, in the type of batteries they can charge, how long they take to charge, and how they maintain batteries.
As a battery charger is such a huge investment, purchasing the right one for your car is essential. With many options out there to choose from, you need to choose one that suits your needs.
Best Car Battery Charger
|Editor's Picks||Product||Our Rating|
|Best Overall||Battery Tender Plus 021-0128||9.5/10|
|Runner up||CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12||9.5/10|
|Best Budget Buy||Battery Tender 021-0123||8.5/10|
|Best Value||NOCO Genius G3500||8.5/10|
|Also Great||NOCO Genius G7200||7.5/10|
1. Battery Tender 021-0123 Car Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: 12V lead-acid batteries including AGM, Gel, Flooded, and deep-cycle batteries
Functionality: Easy to use, fully automatic, and reverse polarity protected
Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Charger is one of the best battery chargers. There are several reasons why it is so prevalent out there.
It has the durability, value, performance, and power you need to charge your battery.
For instance, this tender/charger is fully automatic. It is less expensive than many battery tenders with similar features.
- SuperSmart charging technology that maintains your battery without overcharging.
- It is designed to handle all 12V lead-acid batteries.
- Four-Step charging process: 1. Initialization, 2. Bulk Charge, 3. Absorption Charge, 4. Float Charge.
- Safety features such as reverse polarity protection, short circuit protection, spark-proof DC output leads.
- The charger can be left connected to a battery without causing damage to the battery.
- Automatic and user-friendly
- Compact and portable
- Great value
- The charger can get extremely hot during use
- Long initial charge times
- Extremely short power cord
The main use of this charger is to maintain the charge of your battery whilst the car is not in use. With it, the risk of overcharging your battery is eliminated.
When charging the battery fully, the charger will switch to a safe maintenance level.
One main disadvantage of this device is that it can take ages to charge your 12V battery fully. If you need a quick solution, purchase the premium version of the charger. However, the premium version is a bit costly.
The device is compact and less bulky, meaning it is portable.
The charger is simple to use, reliable and affordable. It is recommended for people who are looking for something simple and portable.
2. Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 Auto Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: All types of lead-acid batteries e.g. MF, Gel, and Wet cell batteries
Functionality: 4-stage Smart Charger, charges 12-V batteries, equipped with float charging mode feature
Unlike Battery Tender Junior, this premium version powers up your battery very quickly.
The Tender Plus features a 4-stage charging process alongside a microprocessor.
It won’t overcharge your battery or require constant monitoring. When charging your battery fully, the charger automatically switches to maintenance mode voltage.
It won’t damage your battery. Instead, it will keep your battery voltage at the appropriate level.
- It automatically switches to float charging mode once the battery is full.
- Self-timer: Once the battery is connected and the charger switched on, the charger will automatically switch to maintenance mode within 72 hours.
- The charger is reverse polarity and spark-proof protected.
- It has a four-step program: 1. Initialization, 2. Bulk charge, 3. Absorption mode, 4. Float mode.
- Ten years warranty.
- The product weighs 2.3 lb.
- Very high quality
- Doesn’t require constant monitoring
- Value for money
- Easy to use
- Gets quite hot during use
- Initial charge can take many hours
- Fewer function indicators
- Short contact leads
Safe to use and also looks attractive, it is one of the best battery chargers to use for a wide range of automobiles.
However, not all battery types can be charged with this charger. There are different types of batteries such as sealed, Gel cell, and lead-acid batteries. For this reason, it is of utmost importance you know the type of battery that you have.
3. CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: Lithium, Gel, Calcium, and flooded batteries
Functionality: Automatic charging in 8-steps, equipped with battery diagnosis feature, short-circuit protected
In fact, the battery is the most versatile, useful, and fastest charger the company has ever made. The battery charging device is compact and has all the capability. Featuring an 8-Step charging process, it is one of the best chargers you can buy right now. It can charge a wide range of battery types. Also, it packs a state-of-the-art system that helps to solve battery-related issues. In other words, it can help detect a problem with the battery.
Read more: Best CTEK Battery Chargers Review 2021
- The in-built microprocessor provides an 8-Steps charging process that maximizes battery performance and life. Safe for all types of vehicles and electronics,
- Fully automatic (computer-controlled) and charges virtually all types of 12V car batteries, including lithium and calcium.
- It features a battery diagnosis function that detects a damaged battery.
- The battery charger switches to advanced maintenance charging mode as soon as the battery is ultimately charged.
- A comprehensive LED display that shows the charging process.
- The device is resistant to water, splash, and dust. Five-year warranty from defects.
- Easy to use
- Worth the price
- Informative LED display
- Compact and portable
- Lacks standby mode
- Could use longer cables
- Thicker wires
- Only supports 12-Volts batteries
Once you recondition the battery, it’s ready for charging. And even if the battery is fully charged, the CTEK can still be left on. CTEK is recommended for those with motorized toys, like snowmobiles or dirt bikes.
The charger is designed to protect all your automobile’s delicate electronics. Moreover, they are water, dust, and splash-proof. And with short-circuit proof and reverse polarity.
4. NOCO Genius G3500 3.5A 6V/12V Vehicle Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: AGM, Gel, Li-Ion, maintenance-free batteries, and Acid batteries
Functionality: Equipped with battery optimization feature to increase the lifespan of a battery, overcharge protection, water, and UV resistance
It has the ability to charge and maintain both 6-volt and 12-volt lead-acid batteries.
Additionally, the charger supports lithium-ion batteries. NOCO is well-known for churning out some of the safest batteries.
The charger can charge both lead-acid and lithium. It supports 6-volt and 12-volt batteries, with good charging speed. With its portability, compact design, and ease of use, this device has proved to be extremely reliable. Therefore, you can also use it to repair damaged batteries.
Noco Genius comes with unique features that make it stand out. One of these features is super-fast charging. The device could charge a battery as twice as the speed of an ordinary charger. The super-fast charge ability of the Noco could help in repairing damaged batteries. Also, it can revive dead batteries.
- NOCO G3500 automatically charges, maintains, recovers, and diagnoses batteries.
- It features LED Indicators: the indicators provide the visual info regarding the device.
- Smart technology that delivers superb performance
- The charging device is compatible with AGM, MF, Gel, and Wet batteries.
- It is portable and compact.
- It is designed to protect against overcharge, overcurrent, overheat, open circuit, short circuit, reverse polarity, and spark-proof.
- Informative LED lights
- Efficient energy consumption
- Portable and easy to use
- Charges effectively and rapidly
- Compatible with a wide range of battery cells
- Long cables can often be a pain in the behind
- Struggles to charge larger batteries
Based on our research about the Noco Genius G3500 battery charger, we’d conclude that it is a great device. The pros arguably outweigh the cons.
However, this charger seems to be more expensive than other chargers available in the market. The product is recommended for anyone looking for the best battery chargers that last forever.
5. NOCO Genius G7200 7.2A 12V/24V Car Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: 12V and 24V lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries. It can also maintain the lawn, garden, marine, deep-cycle, and automotive batteries.
Functionality: Equipped with reverse sulfation feature, charges 12-V batteries, automatic operation.
The NOCO Genius G7200 Battery Charger is a reliable charger from NOCO Company.
The NOCO Genius G7200 Battery Charger is a reliable charger from NOCO Company.
Their best battery chargers are mostly used to charge lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries. You can use them to charge batteries for cars, RV, and lawns.
NOCO Genius charges two times quicker than regular battery chargers available in the market.
It should be noted that this charger cannot be used with motorcycle batteries. Well, it is too powerful for such batteries.
Let us briefly discuss the unique features that make NOCO genius stand out from the crowd. In the end, you should be able to decide whether or not the device is going to be worth your investment. Also, you should be able to know if it suits your needs.
NOCO Genius G7200 charges a wide range of batteries, including 6-V and 12-V batteries. Apart from charging the batteries, it can also maintain them.
- Versatile: The state-of-the-art technology used to design NOCO Genius allows it to perform more functions than just charging. The charger charges a battery two times faster than regular chargers. Also, it can repair damaged batteries and bring dead ones to life. It features spark-proof technology and other safety measures.
- Great interface: It comes with a LED display that shows the diagnostic info and the charging feedback.
- Comes with safe mode charging
- User-friendly interface
- Compact and portable
- Require some charge to start charging
- May not charge properly if the battery is completely
This charger is built for anyone looking for a quality and durable charger. It is worth the investment and won’t make your cash go wasted.
Considering the excellent reputation of NOCO Co, it’s safe to conclude that this product is worth the investment. Therefore, you can never go wrong with NOCO Genius G7200.
6. Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH 12V 4 Bank Car Battery Charger
Outstanding compatibility: All lead-acid batteries, such as AGM, flooded, and sealed maintenance free batteries
Functionality: Simultaneous charging of up to four batteries, short-circuit and reverse polarity protected, automatic functionality
For this reason, the manufacturer created Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH Battery Charger.
It was designed with individuals who own more than one automobile in mind.
Besides, Battery Tender is capable of giving a full charge to up to 4 batteries.
The Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH Battery Charger comes with a four-bank Battery Management System, which lets you simultaneously charge up to four batteries at the same time.
Furthermore, the tender charges a battery at the rate of 1.25 amps. As you can see, it is not just an ordinary trickle charger.
Once you’ve plugged in the charger, you don’t need to monitor it.
The battery tender is also compatible with a wide range of batteries. Therefore, you can use it to charge batteries that are flooded, sealed, or maintenance free.
- The optimum charge keeps your battery healthy.
- It’s compatible with a wide range of batteries, including flooded, maintenance-free, and all AGM batteries.
- The charging device lets you charge your batteries simultaneously, thus saving you a lot of time.
- It’s safer than most regular tenders available on the market today.
- Less expensive and portable
- Trickle charging
- Supports all AGM batteries
- No maintenance
- Easy to use
- Designed for slow charging only. The Battery Tender is designed for individuals with more than one vehicle
- It is also meant for those who want to charge several batteries simultaneously
If you have several automobiles such as jet-skis, motorcycles, etc., then this battery tender may be the perfect solution for your needs.
Another exciting thing about the charger is that it is compact and lightweight. It weighs just 3 pounds. Moreover, it is robust enough to withstand a certain amount of wear and tear.
7. NOCO Genius G15000 15A 12V/24V Car Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: Wet cell, Sla, AGM, Lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries
Functionality: Fully automatic, Ultra-safe battery charger, inbuilt battery desulfator
NOCO Genius 15000 has numerous features that make it stand out from the crowd.
It comes with long-lasting battery clamps. The battery charger is also dust, water, and dirt-proof, making it very durable.
Note that the Genius 15000 battery charger only supports 12-V and 24-V batteries.
Therefore, you cannot use it to charge anything less than that. You may want to go for NOCO Genius 3500.
NOCO Genius 1500 is designed for both lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries. It offers a safe charging experience. In other words, it will not boil your battery due to overcharging.
Besides, it is also capable of jump-starting your car.
- Features reverse polarity protection and charges two times faster than ordinary chargers.
- It is designed to charge both 12v and 24V lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries.
- It comes with an automated battery monitoring tool.
- Its functions are to jump-start dead batteries, diagnose and repair damaged batteries.
- It comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
- Charges batteries two times faster than regular chargers
- Easy to use
- Fully automated
- A bit expensive
It is an ideal choice for those who have bigger and very high-quality batteries.
As you can see, it is an excellent investment. And if it were not for the huge price, this product would undoubtedly be our top 10 best battery chargers.
8. NOCO Genius G4 4.4A 6V/12V Car Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: Wet Cell, Gel Cell, Flooded Cell, Maintenance-Free, Lithium and Calcium batteries
Functionality: Spark proof technology, Equipped with a microprocessor controller, rapid charging technology
The NOCO Genius G4 battery charger, as the name suggests, is a four-bank battery charger. A four-bank battery charger means you can charge up to four batteries simultaneously with one charger, saving your time as well as money in the long run.
NOCO G4 comes with an advanced processor. The processor is designed to monitor, diagnose, recover, charge and maintain AGM, MF, and Wet batteries.
This high-efficiency, high-frequency and waterproof battery utilizes fast charging technology. Meaning, it charges a battery two times faster than conventional chargers.
Safety features of NOCO G4 include overcharge, open-circuit, spark-proof technology, protection against short circuit, and reverse polarity protection.
- It can charge multiple lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries at the same time.
- The four-bank battery charger charges two-time faster than the regular charger.
- Compact, shock-resistant, fully-sealed, water-resistant, rugged, durable, and lightweight.
- It’s compatible with a wide range of applications, including tractors and boats.
- The highly advanced LED indicators offer incredibly great visual feedback
- It keeps the battery 100% charged without damaging it.
- It’s designed for safety: The charger comes with firewall protection that detects unusual charging conditions.
- Lightweight and portable
- Quick charging technology
- Easy to use
The battery charger is recommended for anyone who owns multiple batteries. It is one of the best battery chargers that can save you time.
The NOCO G4 bank manufacturer has set the standard in the battery charging industry for many years. The product is highly recommended.
9. NOCO Genius GEN3 30A 3 Bank Automotive Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: All 12V lead-acid batteries including AGM, Maintenance-Free, Gel, AND Wet cells.
Functionality: Fully automatic8-step charger, designed to withstand harsh marine conditions, waterproof
Finding out that one of the best battery chargers on your boat or car has gone dead when you are in the middle of your journey can be very frustrating. That is why you need the best battery chargers.
However, you do not need just any charger. You need a reliable and high-quality charger.
It is an essential emergency tool for any automobile owner.
The charger is well reviewed on the Amazon website. Currently, it has earned 4.3 out of the possible 5 stars.
- Supports all lead-acid batteries including AGM, MF, and Wet
- Very safe: protect against overcurrent, overheat, open circuit, and short circuit
- Features fast charging technology; charges two times faster than conventional chargers
- Super safe and fully automatic
- Easy to use
- Rapid charging technology saves time
- Waterproof resistant to completely protect the charger from harsh marine conditions
- Only charges every 24 hours
- Drains a great deal of power when in standby mode
The battery is recommended for anyone looking for one of the best battery chargers that can survive harsh environmental conditions. It is designed for harsh marine conditions.
The battery is easy to use, fast and effective. Apart from the price, it is an excellent investment, hence recommended.
10. DEWALT DXAEPS2 2800/1400A 1000W 120 PSI Car Battery Charger
Outstanding Compatibility: All Li-ion batteries, including gel cell and AGM varieties
Functionality: Fully automatic, Air compressor, Instant starting power
The best battery chargers must have the muscle to get your car engine running when the need arises.
The 2800 Peak Amp jump Dewalt DXAEPS2 has plenty of juice. Therefore, it is capable of jumping a vehicle multiple times before having to be recharged.
The charger comes with a 1,000-watt power inverter to offer a continuous power supply to the dual 3.1 Amp high output USB outlets.
Also, the inventor can supply power to other gadgets connected to the battery.
- The enormous 2800 Peak Amp jump starter delivers sufficient power to jump-start heavy machinery.
- It is lightweight and features a 120 PSI Compressor.
- The 1000 Watt Power Inventor is capable of powering a wide range of electronics and appliances.
- Outstanding power: You can use it to jump-start both small and larger engines without trouble.
- Comes with plenty of features
- Portable compared to a gas-powered generator or portable air compressor
- Cord lengths are too short
- Heavy and bulky
- Needs regular maintenance
If you plan to use this charger in emergencies, you’ll need to juice it up at least once per month. Also, you’re a regular user; however, this won’t be required.
If you plan to use it once in a blue moon, you need to take proper care of it.
Otherwise, it will not be there when required.
There are plenty of reasons to like this battery charger. It does a great job though there are a few compromises. No doubt, the short air hose and jumper cables are two such drawbacks. Moreover, some of the features like LED lamps aren’t practical or user-friendly.
The Bottom Line
All said and done, choosing the right battery in one of the best car battery chargers is of paramount importance. Choosing the right type depends on various factors. These factors include cattery capacity, battery type, and input voltage.