Looking for the best Transmission Code Reader / Scanner in the market 2020? Then you’ve landed on the right page now.
|Editor's Picks||Product||Our Rating|
|Best Overall||Launch CRP123||9/10|
|Runner Up||Launch Creader VII+||8/10|
|Best Budget Buy||BlueDriver||9/10|
|Best Value||Autel ML629||8/10|
|Also Great||AUTOPHIX V007||7/10|
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Transmission Code Reader
- 1.1 1. Launch CRP123 ENG Transmission Airbag ABS Code Reader
- 1.2 2. Launch Creader VII+ ABS SRS Transmission Diagnostic Tool
- 1.3 3. BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII Scanner for iPhone & Android
- 1.4 4. Autel ML629 OBD2 Scanner ABS SRS Scan Tool
- 1.5 5. AUTOPHIX V007 OBD2 Code Reader with Oil Reset
- 1.6 6. Autel Diaglink ABS SRS Engine Diagnostic Tool
- 1.7 7. FIXD OBD-II ABS SRS Code Reader
- 1.8 8. FOXWELL NT510 Full System OBD2 Scanner
- 1.9 9. Autel MD808 ABS SRS Engine Diagnostic Tool
- 1.10 10. Autel MK808 Full-System Diagnostic Scan Tool
Best Transmission Code Reader
Let’s have a closer look at the best transmission code readers in detail.
1. Launch CRP123 ENG Transmission Airbag ABS Code Reader
The Launch CRP123 is designed with quality standards. It offers more features than many OBD2 scanners out there at the same price range.
But if you’re on the lookout for a newbie-friendly simple scanner then this product is not for you.
Launch CRP123 has an intuitive design. It is small, compact, and fits in the pocket perfectly. The transmission scanner is aesthetically appealing with its black and cherry color combinations.
The CRP123 has broad compatibility. You can use the tool with all OBD2 enabled automobiles.
It is able to present data instantly. You can also save the data for later use. And the engine scan history can be recovered anytime in the future.
With its 7.8 inches in breadth, 1.7 inches in height and 1.4 overall, weight, the scan tool is very portable.
This transmission code scanner does not require installation or software to run. Once it is connected with Port, and touching the right button on the screen, it begins diagnosing the engine.
The Launch CRP123 transmission scanner is for DIYers looking for a transmission scan tool that delivers what it says.Check Price at Amazon
2. Launch Creader VII+ ABS SRS Transmission Diagnostic Tool
Launch makes some of the best transmission scanners, and the Launch Creader VII+ is one of them. A full OBD2 diagnostic tool, this scanner covers a wide range of domestic, Asian and European car brands.
They include tens of car makes such as VW, Accura, Honda, Ford, Benz, BMW, Fiat, Opel, GM, Chrysler, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Hyundai, Kia, Lexus, Subaru, and Toyota. For confirmation’s sake, be sure to check Launch’s website whether your car is covered.
In terms of functionality, this transmission diagnostic tool can pull and clear codes from the transmission system. Additionally, it can display live data from the transmission system to help you know whether the car’s speed and load match its transmission’s output.
Built with a full-color screen, the Launch Creader VII+ has the ability to identify a vehicle automatically. It features auto VIN which not only detects the make and model of your car but also shows its VIN, CID, and CVN.
- Covers almost all OBD2-compliant vehicles
- Full OBD2 function
- Package includes free software updates for the scanner’s lifetime
- Fairly affordable for a full OBD2 function scan tool
- Small and compact for handheld operation
- Compatibility issues with some 1996 to 2006 cars
- Construction feels cheap
Launch Creader VII+ is your typical DIY tool meant for enthusiasts who frequently need to diagnose the transmission and other systems.Check Price at Amazon
3. BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII Scanner for iPhone & Android
The Bluedriver Bluetooth scanner is yet another OBD2 adapter that pairs with mobile devices to perform diagnostics. As you can tell from the name, it uses Bluetooth to connect with smartphones and tablets.
More importantly, this adapter is compatible with both iOS and Android devices. Plus it works on all OBD2-compliant vehicles. That wide compatibility is why some folks out there call it the best transmission scanner.
Needless to say, it does deliver impressively. For starters, it comes with the Bluedriver App, which you get for free after purchasing the adapter. Combined, the two allow you to pull transmission codes from your car. You can view confirmed, pending as well as permanent trouble codes.
The scanner offers code definitions to help you understand what exactly is wrong with your transmission. In case the Check Engine Light is on because of a problem in the transmission system you can reset it by clearing those codes. Besides that, it allows you to view live data from the transmission.
It’s worth noting that while you can use the Bluedriver scanner to pull engine codes on any OBD2 car, transmission diagnostics is only possible on BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota.
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices
- Enhances mobility thanks to wireless connectivity
- Comes with a free OBD2 diagnostic app
- Pairs easily via Bluetooth
- Can be left plugged in the car for real-time data collection
- Transmission diagnosis doesn’t work on all car brands
- Drains car battery when left plugged in
The Bluedriver transmission code reader is ideal for car owners who want to use their smartphones and tablets to check transmission codes and live data.Check Price at Amazon
4. Autel ML629 OBD2 Scanner ABS SRS Scan Tool
Autel’s ML629 Maxi Link is an entry-level transmission diagnostic tool that covers OBD2 compliant vehicles. It works on almost all mainstream cars that were made from 1996 onward. That includes domestic and foreign brands.
Featuring a full-color screen, this ergonomic scanner reads and clears trouble codes from the transmission system. After pulling a code it will give a brief description to let you know exactly what the issue is with your transmission.
In addition to that, the transmission code reader offers live sensor data. As far as transmission goes, you can track both transmission speed and pressure. Besides, it supports the storage and playback of live data. That makes it easy to retrieve the parameters the next time you need them.
- Works on a wide range of domestic and foreign cars
- Easy to operate thanks to the intuitive interface
- The compact and ergonomic design makes storage and handling a breeze
- Comes with an entry-level price
- Features auto VIN for vehicle identification
- Functionality issues with 2013 and newer cars
- The update procedure is not so straightforward
The ML629 Maxi Link is perfect for enthusiasts who need to check codes and view live data from the transmission.Check Price at Amazon
5. AUTOPHIX V007 OBD2 Code Reader with Oil Reset
Are you looking for a scan tool that works on a wide range of vehicles? Autophix V007 ends your search.
The device is one of the best transmission code readers available in the market. It is a cost-effective scanner that helps analyze loads of vehicle problems.
This transmission code reader is compatible with the majority of OBD II vehicles.
The tool can check all systems including transmission, Airbags, Immobilizer, and so on.
It contains a multiannual menu that contains various languages including English and German.
Autophix Udiag V007 is equipped with an easy to read display which displays vital data stream.
If you are looking for a tool to help you do-it-yourself, Autophix V007 is the perfect product that you’ll find. It is compact and lightweight enough to carry anywhere.Check Price at Amazon
It may be a full-system scanner but the Autel Diaglink is especially outstanding in checking the transmission system. With it, you can read and clear transmission codes. Usually, after clearing trouble codes the Check Engine Light (CEL) should go off, assuming the problem was in the transmission.
Built with a color LCD screen, the Autel Diaglink features a simple and intuitive interface. That is one of the reasons why it’s among the best transmission scanners.
Upon purchase, Autel will give you the software for one vehicle for free. The good news is that you get to choose a car make and model that you want to use this transmission code reader with. By contrast, the bad news is that if you want to increase its vehicle coverage you will have to pay $10 for every additional car model.
As long as we are talking coverage, this transmission diagnostic tool is compatible with almost all mainstream OBD2-compliant cars. As a matter of fact, it supports all 10 modes of OBD2. In other words, as long as your car is a 1996 or newer model it’s almost certain that the scanner will be compatible.
- Wide vehicle compatibility
- Supports other advanced functions besides transmission diagnostics
- Quite affordable for a scanner with a wide range of functions
- Can help reset the CEL
- Comes with free software for one car make
- You only get software for one car make. Expanding coverage requires payment.
- Installing software is not simple
Autel’s Diaglink is the best transmission scanner for the DIY mechanic who works on one or a few brands of cars.Check Price at Amazon
7. FIXD OBD-II ABS SRS Code Reader
If you would rather have an adapter than a stand-alone scanner then FIXD OBD-II code reader is well worth your consideration. This transmission diagnostic tool is compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
It comes with the FIXD app for OBD2 diagnostics. Once the app is installed on your smartphone or tablet the adapter will be good to check your transmission system. FIXD OBD-II will pull and erase codes, and by doing so help you reset the Check Engine Light when it comes on due to transmission-related problems.
One of the reasons why some people consider FIXD to be the best transmission scanner is because of its data display. In addition to code definitions, you can view live data of the transmission system. The data comes in text format as well as PIDs (graphs, gauges, and charts).
Although this tool is designed for all OBD2-compliant vehicles, its transmission diagnostic function is limited to Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Meaning you can use it to check the engine of any OBD2 car, but when it comes to transmission only the 5 brands are supported.
- Compatible with iOS and Android
- Uses Bluetooth, so you don’t have to deal with wires
- Small and not obstructive when left plugged in the car
- Comes with the FIXD OBD2 app
- Easy to use
- Very affordable
- Transmission diagnosis works on a few brands of cars
- The product doesn’t have the best customer support
The FIXD transmission code reader is suitable for ordinary car owners who want to leave the device plugged in and collect transmission codes as well as real-time transmission data.Check Price at Amazon
8. FOXWELL NT510 Full System OBD2 Scanner
Foxwell NT510 is a quality transmission scanner. It allows BMW users to perform similar deep engine analysis carried out at BMW dealerships.
The Foxwell NT510 scanner works on most 1996 to newer BMW models.
This transmission scanner is a cost-effective tool that provides advanced features like component actuation. It is also able to read and erase codes as well as reset oil reminder.
The Foxwell NT510 is a handheld gadget that does not require a laptop. Any problem light indicator turns off once the problem is fixed.
Foxwell NT510 is a good pick for anyone looking for a BMW scanner under 200 USD. It provides features that are often only available at BMW dealerships.Check Price at Amazon
9. Autel MD808 ABS SRS Engine Diagnostic Tool
If you want to figure out what is wrong with your engine, the Autel MD808 is what you need. It’s undoubtedly one of the best transmission code readers at the moment.
This Autel Scanner can scan and erase unwanted codes. Also, it test and control oil reset, BMS, DPF, EPB, and SRS.
Autel MD808 offers diesel particulate filter regeneration, steering angle sensor, battery registration, and oil service rest.
The scanner is a four handheld gadget. And it provides global OBD-II coverage for a wide variety of vehicle brands and models.
Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Transmission Scanner is for those on the lookout for affordable option offers. The device offers all the necessary functionalities you would expect from a standard scanner.Check Price at Amazon
10. Autel MK808 Full-System Diagnostic Scan Tool
MaxiCOM MK808 Transmission Scan Tool has all the primary features you would want out of an OBD2 scanner.
Autel MaxiCOM MK808 is able to be used with 1996 US-based, 2000 EU-based and newer vehicles.
The 7” touchscreen display makes it easy to read what is on it.
MK808 can do full system diagnosis including ABS, SRS, and Transmission, etc.
It can reset the battery management system and DPF/SAS/BMS/EPB systems which are used for safety maintenance of vehicle systems.
The scanner has an in-built WI-FI for software updates. However, a card reader or USB is required for a software update.
- In-built WI-FI
- Responds quickly to inputs
- The display is clearly visible
- Compatible with all OBDII vehicles
- Portable design
- You need a card reader or USB for the software update
- Supports only Android devices
The fact that it comes with in-built WI-FI and is compatible with all OBD vehicles makes this tool a great choice.
The Autel MK808 scanner is a great choice for mechanics who are looking for a transmission scanner with great features.Check Price at Amazon
Read more: Best OBD2 Scanners Review 2020