The beauty of an OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter is that it can read codes and send the information directly to your smartphone/tablet (iOS/Android) so that you have a completely wireless experience.
In order to get the best OBD2 Bluetooth adapter, you need to look into several things such as the features offered, compatibility, updates released by the scanner, etc.
This guide will help you determine:
- What functionalities will you be able to perform with an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter for iOS or Android Devices?
- Which OBD2 Bluetooth adapter is suitable for you, and
- How to actually use an OBD2 Bluetooth scanner.
Table of Contents
- 1 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter: Editor’s Top 4 Picks Comparison Chart
- 2 Best OBD2 Bluetooth Adapters for iOS and Android
- 2.1 1Bluedriver OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, iPad and Android
- 2.2 2BAFX Products OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for iPhone, iPad
- 2.3 3BAFX Products Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter / Scanner for Android
- 2.4 4 Veepeak OBDCheck BLE 4.0 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for iOS and Android devices
- 2.5 5PLX Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter / Scanner for Android, iOS, and Windows
- 2.6 6OBDLink MX: Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter for Android and Windows
- 2.7 7FIXD OBD-II Active Car Health Monitor and OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for iOS and Android
- 2.8 8Automatic PRO AUT-350 Bluetooth Car OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for Android and iOS
- 2.9 9Kitbest Check Engine Light OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for Android
- 2.10 10OBDLink LX: Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter / Scanner for Android and Windows
- 3 How To Use an OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner?
- 4 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter FAQs
- 5 The Bottom Line
OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter: Editor’s Top 4 Picks Comparison Chart
From the review above, I’ve picked out the best Bluetooth OBD2 Adapters / Scanners for you in the Comparison chart below (2 for iOS, 2 for Android)
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII iPhone, iPad
BAFX Products OBDII Adapter for iPhone, iPad
ScanTool OBDLink MX Bluetooth
BAFX Products Bluetooth OBDII Adapter Scanner for Android
4.4 / 5
4.5 / 5
4.2 / 5
4.4 / 5
|Weight||1.6 ounces||3.2 ounces||1.12 ounces||3.04 ounces|
|Turning off CEL||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Viewing Freeze Frame||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Reading ABS/SRS||Yes (in few models)||N/A||Yes||No|
|Air Fuel Ratio |
DTCs (read and clear)
Door locks and remote engine
start (with an app that offers these features)
|Throttle boost speed |
EOT,EGT balance rates
RPM's load value
|Compatibility||iPhone and Android||iOS only||Android and Windows||Android and Windows|
|Best Compatible OBD2 app||Bluedriver app||OBD Fusion and Torque pro||ForScan||Torque and Dashcommand|
|Bottom Line||It is an excellent tool for DIY car mechanics and comes at a relatively cheap price.||Highly recommend for average car users and beginners||Highly recommend for regular car drivers and DIYers.||This code reader are suitable for beginners and average car owners.|
Let’s dive into the details NOW!!
Best OBD2 Bluetooth Adapters for iOS and Android
1Bluedriver OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, iPad and Android
Bluedriver is among the best Bluetooth scanners for iPhone because you do not need to be a mechanical geek to use it. Once you plug it in, it connects to the Bluetooth of your phone or iPad and is ready for use.
This scanner runs a scan and shows live results right there and then. Moreover, it also reads your car’s VIN number and other data as well.
This iPhone OBD2 scanner is special because you do not have to run a search on the internet to find the explanation of codes. It uses your device’s WiFi and offers a 5 digit code with the description that tells you what the problem is.
Moreover, Bluedriver can also access a database that has more than 6.6 million verified repair fixes. This makes it easier for rookies to know what is required to fix a problem.
There are many amazing features of this scanner such as
- smog checks, turn off CEL, show live data, misfire counts
- comprehensive component tests, fuel system tests and reads ABS, SRS, Transmission codes for Nissan, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, etc.
- Moreover, it also supports BMW, VW, and Honda (2003) available in North America.
BlueDriver is best compatible with its own app, The Blue Driver App.
- Comes with a free BlueDriver App.
- Supports 70+ parameters in the logging mode.
- Connects to your phone automatically via Bluetooth and also reads the car’s VIN number.
- The fixes are reliable.
- Leaving it plugged in does not drain the battery
- Doesn’t display transmission temperature.
- Doesn’t show much information in GM cars.
- ABS is not supported in all the cars.
Who is it for?
This Bluedriver can help a lot of basic features such as read and clear CEL codes, transmission, ABS/SRS (in a few cars, such as GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota, Nissan and North American car models such as BMW, VW and Honda) and doesn’t require that you search what a particular code means, it offers a suitable fix from its 6.6 million verified fixes.
2BAFX Products OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for iPhone, iPad
BAFX is a Bluetooth reader that you will find in most of the iPhone OBD2 scanner reviews because it is known for performing a quick diagnose on your car and displaying reliable results.
This iPhone OBD2 scanner is able to perform a full diagnosis and find issues such as sensor problems, overheating, engine issues in real-time.
With this OBD2 Bluetooth for iPhone, you can check the oil temp, fuel pressure, air-fuel ratio, CEL fault codes, coolant temp, DPF, O2 sensors, emission test, fuel trim, and more.
BAFX is compatible with OBD fusion and Torque pro apps.
- Connectivity is strong – up to 20 feet of range.
- Reads data in real-time and shows results quickly.
- It works with hybrid vehicles, too.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Need to purchase a 3rd party app to use the OBD2 reader ($5 – $50).
- It doesn’t read ABS, SRS, TPMS, and VSC.
- Large size, hence hard to handle for some.
Who is it for?
This OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter suited to average car users and beginners as it offers easy setup and user experience and users who want a diagnostics aid that will deliver good performance.
3BAFX Products Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter / Scanner for Android
Most of the problems that arise in a car are in the sensors. BAFX is known to be a champ when it comes to sensor readings. It can read boost, speed, EOT, EGT, balance rates, RPM’s, load value, fuel Trim, DPF Temp, and throttle position.
Apart from that, it offers many other basic features too including smog checks, CEL codes, oil temp, fuel pressure, air fuel ratio, coolant temp, O2 sensors, DPF temp, fuel trim, and emission test.
If you are in search of an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter/scanner for Android that can perform a variety of features then BAFX is a good option.
To make the scanners perform a variety of functions such as Throttle boost, speed, EOT, EGT, balance rates, RPM’s, load value, fuel trim, DPF Temp and throttle position, use it with DashCommand or Torque.
- Reads every single PID.
- Sensor refresh is very quick.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Works great in a 20 feet range.
- Doesn’t support ABS, SRS, SAS and advanced features.
- Doesn’t come with an app.
Who is it for?
The BAFX products Bluetooth OBD2 adapter / scanner for Android is suitable for beginners and average car owners.
4 Veepeak OBDCheck BLE 4.0 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for iOS and Android devices
Veepeak OBDCheck offers many basic features and a few advanced ones as well. This iPhone OBD2 Bluetooth adapter might not have an app of its own but it supports many apps such as Torque, Carista.
It is one of the best Bluetooth OBD2 scanners because of its ability to read live sensor readings quickly.
The interface is very easy to use because the scanner displays data in graphical form. Other than that, you can perform smog checks, customize the dashboard and monitor several real-time engine parameters such as fuel usage, perform freeze frame and it also shows a live route on a map.
Uses Less Power: Some scanners are known to consume a lot of power and drain the battery quickly.
It’s not the case of this Veepeak OBD2 Bluetoothe adapter because it operates on Bluetooth 4.0 which is known for using minimal power.
Veepeak might not have its own exclusive app but it works like a charm when used with Torque Pro and OBD Fusion.
- Very light at 2.4 ounces.
- Shows route on a live map.
- Excellent customer support.
- No pairing is needed in iOS. Connect it through an app directly.
- 1 YEAR warranty and 30 days money back guarantee.
- A bit slower than other options.
- Connectivity issues in iPhone 5.
- Can’t access all functions with just one app.
Who is it for?
Veepeak OBDCheck is the perfect OBD2 Bluetooth adapter for home mechanics to use in their garage.
5PLX Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter / Scanner for Android, iOS, and Windows
PLX Kiwi 3 is an excellent plug and play tool and one of the best OBD2 Bluetooth adapters for iPhone. This Blueooth OBD2 scanner has its own app called Kiwi OBD App and it consumes only 0.2W when operational and 0.05W when in sleep mode.
Kiwi OBD app offers a plethora of functions such as data logging, real-time data, GPS mapping, fuel efficiency test, etc.
PLX Kiwi 3 works on Instaconnect technology which eliminates the need of pairing up the device with Bluetooth every now and then. Just plug the scanner and KIWI 3 will do the rest.
Another benefit of using this OBD2 Bluetooth scanner is that it is quite slim with a dimension of 0.68” only. Moreover, it feels quite fast compared to other scanners in the same price range.
In fact, the manufacturers have also claimed that this scanner is four times faster than other scanners.
- Works on Bluetooth V4.1 wireless standard which is quite fast.
- 30 feet range.
- Cross-platform compatible (iOS, Android, Linux, Mac and Windows)
- The app is free to download.
- The device is tiny and can be left plugged into the OBD2 port.
- The refresh rate it offers is 20 Hz, which is very fast.
- You need to buy the subscription to use all the functionalities.
- Shows issues and lags if not updated before use.
Who is it for?
PLX Device Kiwi 3 is one of the best OBD2 Bluetooth Adapters for DIYers and car owners with an iOS, Android, and/or Windows device.
6OBDLink MX: Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter for Android and Windows
If you’re a beginner mechanic or a car owner who doesn’t like when an OBD2 scanner takes a lot of time to diagnose why the CEL light is on. Then OBDLINK MX won’t disappoint.
It can read codes in 12 seconds on average which is two times faster than other scanners.
Mechanics will love this tool because they can determine problems in many cars in less time. Moreover, the data provided is also accurate. This Bluetooth scanner can accelerate apps by 250% and software by 300%.
The highlight of this Android OBD2 scanner is its ability to offer 128-bit data encryption that makes it hack proof.
It comes with an app of its own called OBDLINK which is great at diagnosing trouble codes unless you have to scan SW CAN and MS CAN for GM.
If you have a GM vehicle then the ForScan is a good app and offers many additional features such as the ability to access DTC in all of the modules and even reset them.
You can leave it plugged in at all times as it goes to sleep after 2 hours.
OBDLink MX can read codes including CEL, show detailed data, graphs, logs, and can even export data.
- Supports SW and MS in GM vehicles (LX version doesn’t.)
- Doesn’t overheat.
- Can be connected to laptops via Bluetooth.
- Compatible with 3rd party apps (Torque and ForScan recommended).
- 90 days money back guarantee and 3 years repair/replacement warranty.
- No advanced features.
- Fails at monitoring multiple PIDs sometimes.
Who is it for?
OBDLink MX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter is suitable for car nerds who like to know what is happening in their car without opening the bonnet of the car.
7FIXD OBD-II Active Car Health Monitor and OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for iOS and Android
FIXD might be a basic Bluetooth scanner but it has a specialty. It can monitor maintenance schedules and alert you for oil changes. This is the reason it is called a car health monitor.
Moreover, the scanner also lets you know about the estimated costs of the required work.
CEL codes are the most common ones in a car but not many scanners can read it out accurately. FIXD not only reads many of them but also translates them into simple plain English so that you can also understand the problem.
FIXD app is the best option to go with this scanner as they form a stable connection.
- Multiple devices can be linked to one app.
- Good at finding catalytic problems in the car.
- Connects with the app automatically when Bluetooth is on.
- Small in size and doesn’t take up a lot of space.
- The Bluetooth range is short.
- Doesn’t support ABS/SRS.
- Poor customer support by the company (you can only contact via email).
Who is it for?
FIXD is an excellent Car Health Monitor and Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for Hands-on Drivers.
8Automatic PRO AUT-350 Bluetooth Car OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for Android and iOS
If you are a security geek then Pro AUT-350 is your best bet because it offers some of the most amazing features.
This Bluetooth scanner for Android also offers location tracking for your vehicle. This way you can rest assure that you track your car if it gets stolen or if you forget where you parked. This feature isn’t offered by many scanners.
Apart from reading many basic codes, it can also respond to crash emergency situations and call in assistance and your loved ones automatically if you have stored their contact details.
As far as speed is concerned, it is one of the fastest because it uses 3G connectivity to connect to Automatic’s servers and retrieve information from it. The best part is that the 3G connection is free for five years.
The highlight of this scanner is its ability to connect to Alexa. You can ask ‘Alexa, where is my car?’ and it will respond. How cool is that?
This OBD2 Bluetooth scanner for Android can also connect to Automatic’s cloud server using the 3G chip in it and you won’t have to run through the hassle of pairing it up every time.
The Bluetooth OBD2 adapter will expose you to amazing pieces of information such as how much you have driven, how is your car doing, how much you spend on your vehicle, trip logs etc. In short, it will act as your personal mechanic.
It supports all the basic features such as turning off CEL but no advanced features.
- Tracks the vehicle.
- Works on IFTTT connection.
- Comes with an app that helps track many things.
- Passes a notification to keep you updated (engine started, car parked).
- Drains the battery quickly.
- Doesn’t work well when cell coverage is low.
- Only works in the US.
Who is it for?
Automatic Pro AUT-350 is an excellent OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter made for people who love diagnosis and collecting statistics about their driving.
9Kitbest Check Engine Light OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter for Android
Long story short, Kitbest Bluetooth OBD2 adapter will read live sensor data accurately and it is one of the cheapest ones on the market.
It will read almost every sensor data including coolant temperature, O2 readings, EOT, timing advance, engine RPM, calculated load value, intake air temperature, EGT, throttle, fuel trim, intake manifold pressure, boost, speed, smog test, and monitor fuel economy as well.
Apart from sensor readings, it can also read and clear CEL and DTCs.
It doesn’t come with an app of its own but there are several apps that are compatible with it such as Carista, OBD Car Doctor Pro, and OBD Fusion.
Most experts recommend Torque Pro because it offers many features such as real-time codes, trip information, track recorder, map view, etc.
- Comes with a 5-year guarantee.
- Provides description with the codes.
- Offers quick results but only when the phone is not paired with anything else on Bluetooth.
- 100% money back guarantee.
- Amazing customer support.
- Doesn’t support diesel cars and trucks.
- Doesn’t work well with Volvo specific codes.
Who is it for?
Kitbest is one of the best Bluetooth OBD2 adapters designed for both professional and DIYer car user
10OBDLink LX: Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter / Scanner for Android and Windows
OBDLink LX doesn’t support MS and SW protocol in GM and Ford while OBDLink MX does.
This OBD2 Bluetooth adapter for Android is a great fit for beginners and DIYers because it is very easy to use and offers many basic features, too. Moreover, it supports a variety of vehicles that are OBD2 compliant and manufactured after 1996, excluding electric and hybrid models.
What makes OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool one of the best OBD2 scanners for Android is that it is 4 times faster than most scanners and is able to read codes in the blink of an eye.
It offers smooth connectivity over Bluetooth and supports many third-party apps as well.
With the right app, you can observe detailed graphs, realistic virtual gauges, and accurate results.
This Bluetooth adapter is also known to utilize minimum battery power and there’s also a sleep function that minimizes the power usage to 0.2 watts only.
It might not read advanced codes but is excellent at diagnosing and displaying CEL, suggesting repairs, showing graphical data and logs. Moreover, it can even export data.
Another feature that makes one of the best OBD2 Bluetooth scanners is the security it provides. OBDLINK LX is a hack-proof scanner as there’s 128-bit data encryption in it.
When you buy this scanner, you get 3 years warranty and lifetime free updates. It is also a fireproof scanner and won’t suffer any overheating issues.
The performance of this scanner is amazing because it accelerates app performance by 250% and scanner software performance by 300%.
- Hack Proof.
- Superior build quality.
- 90-day money back guarantee.
- Automatic sleep and wake feature to save power.
- Not suitable for GM-Ford.
- No advanced features offered.
Who is it for?
OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner is recommended for car owner and DIYer
How To Use an OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner?
- Locate your car’s OBD2 port and plug in the Bluetooth scanner.
- Turn the engine on.
- Go to the settings of your phone and choose wireless and networks.
- Choose Bluetooth settings and pair up with the scanner.
This is how you pair your phone with the scanner. To use it, launch the app and run a complete scan or a specific test.
If something is wrong with the car, it will turn on the CEL and pass a trouble code that you can refer to and know what the problem is.
Some scanners have the ability to connect automatically and require no manual pairing.
OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter FAQs
How to know if my car is OBD2 supported?
- If your car is manufactured in 1996 or later then most probably it is OBD2 compliant. However, you can check by finding the OBD2 port in your car. It is usually located under the dash.
What if my phone keeps on losing connection?
- This problem can be corrected by re-connecting your phone with the scanner. If it doesn’t, the scanner might have poor connectivity performance.
Will a Bluetooth scanner depletes a phone’s battery quickly?
- No, it doesn’t. However, in some scanners, it might if the WiFi is on.
The Bottom Line
An OBD2 Bluetooth adapter requires an OBD2 app to operate and there are many to choose from.
Bluetooth scanners can read and clear CEL codes, DTCs, monitor fuel usage and do everything that a wired scanner does.
However, remember that what you can do with a scanner largely depends on the OBD2 app that you use.
So be careful when picking one.
Moreover, be careful about the platform (iOS, Android, or Windows) as one scanner may not support all operating systems.
These 10 Bluetooth scanners are excellent and can help you save money.
Make sure to pick one according to your needs.