Are you looking for an OBD2 + OBD1 scanner (2 in 1) or an OBD1 scanner? Then, you are on the right page. In this article, I will review 5 best OBD2 and OBD1 scanners on the market 2018 for GM, Ford and other makes.
Don’t have enough time to read the whole review? Don’t worry!!
I’ve picked out the best for you right below:
Scroll down if you’d love to read more!
OBD scanners are computer-based systems that show the status of various vehicle subsystems.
The primary section OBD system is an ECU (Electronic control unit). It uses inputs from sensors such as oxygen to control actuators such as fuel injectors. OBD Scanners check early malfunction signs of the vehicle and alerts the owner in advance.
What is OBD?
OBD2 vs OBD1 SCANNER
OBD1 scanners were used to detect faults in the engine.
OBD1 scanners were not standardized among manufacturers. Because one single device was only compatible with a specific model of vehicles.
One major drawback of OBD1 Scanners is that they cannot interpret the problem into an understandable form. And it can only detect errors and display them in the form of codes.
On the other hand, OBD2 scanners are useful in the diagnosis of engine problems.
They are compatible with different car models.
There are three distinct types of OBD2 scanners: Code Reader, DIY scanner, and professional automotive diagnostic scanner. Once OBD2 detects a problem with the engine, it also helps with its eventual correction.
The following are the BEST OBD1 Scanners in the market 2018 that I’ve researched and picked out for you.
The list includes 3 OBD2 + OBD1 scanners and 2 OBD1 scanners.
#1. INNOVA 3120 OBD2 and OBD1 Scanner
Once the INNOVA 3120 connects to the vehicle successfully, tt retrieves OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) codes which it shows on the screen .
The system refreshes after every 30 seconds which makes it easy to monitor the progress of repairs.
This is an excellent choice for professional technicians who work on newer and older model vehicles.
INNOVA 3120 has a patented 2.8-inch all-in-one display that shows 20 pieces of vital information at all times. The scan tool also exhibits codes and their definitions in three different languages that include English, Spanish and French.
The 9-button keypad contains hotkeys which provide easy access to crucial information and intuitive navigation.
It also has audible beeps that alert the user once the device links successfully to the vehicle.
Battery charge indicator
On the screen, INNOVA 3120 has a low battery indicator that alerts the user when there is a need to do a replacement to protect the memory.
- This scanner can reads codes for newer OBD2 vehicles (manufactured after the year 1996) and many OBD1 vehicles.
- The screen displays 20 pieces of information which includes their codes and definitions.
- It performs various tests such as the battery/ alternator test.
- Safety restraint system (airbag) that requires payment upon upgrade.
- The data displayed on the screen is not live. But it refreshes in every 30 seconds for the user to see the progress.
#2. INNOVA 3145 Ford Digital OBD1 Scanner
The INNOVA 3145 has a digital display that is easy to view and eliminates the need to count flashes.
This device works mostly on Lincoln, Ford and mercury domestic cars and trucks which were manufactured between 1982 to 1995.
It is compatible with MCU computer control systems.
The instructions and the user manual are available in English, French, and Spanish.
The reader has a memory that allows the user to store the codes and keeps them even after it is unplugged.
- The user manual is available in various languages that include English, French, and Spanish.
- The use of a barcode reader allows it to capture accurate data.
- The LED screen allows the users to operate on it efficiently even with limited lighting.
- It does not display different types information at the same time.
When it comes to diagnosing vehicle faults, there is a great need to acquire a scanner detecting and giving suggestions on how to solve such errors.
One example of such scanners is the INNOVA 31403 CarScan OBD2 + OBD1 Scan Tool.
Innova 31403 has a large screen that displays over 20 pieces of diagnostic information at once. Tts software is upgrade-able, which means it is compatible even with new models of vehicles in the industry.
#3. INNOVA 3123 GM OBD1 Scanner
The INNOVA 3123 is compatible with most general motors cars and trucks manufactured in between 1982 to 1995.
The reader accesses the vehicles on-board computer and retrieves engine and transmission codes and ABS vehicle computer codes.
Digital code reader
The device has an easy-to-view display that outputs numeric trouble codes thus eliminating the need to count flashes.
The instructions, codes and user manual are available in English, French, and Spanish.
- Innova 3123 supports three different languages.
- The compatibility of the INNOVA 3123 with the vehicle computer system prevents damages.
- This scanner does not come with a PC interface cable.
- The software is not upgradeable.
#3. Innova 31403 OBD2 + OBD1 Scanner
This scanner can
- perform a complete scan procedure,
- give the user reports,
- provide data printouts
- and also give eventual suggestions of the type of action to take when dealing with the data.
The device is compatible with both OBD2 and OBD1 cars. It displays, records and plays OBD2 live data graphing.
The screen is large enough to output to output over 20 pieces of vital diagnostic information at once.
Innova 31403 allows even novices to use it with ease because it offers the plug and play option, the display function, and several data codes presentations.
It also has enhanced data mechanisms that enable it to scan data from all the car genres including those that are new to the market.
It has a wireless internet upgradeable and updatable software that increases the make and model coverage.
This scan tool has a print feature option that allows drivers and mechanics to get the best code data information for efficient repairs.
- Its memory and battery backup allows off-car review and analysis.
- Innova 31403 has a large screen that displays all the automotive diagnostics tests taking place and their results.
- It displays, plays back and records OBD2 live data graphing on the tool.
- The battery life can drain fast if left idle for a long time.
#4. Innova 3140E OBD2 + OBD1 Scanner
Innova 3140E can retrieve OEM-enhanced and transmission diagnostic troubles codes on the popular 1982 to 1995 OBD1 vehicles.
It can stream and record real-time data, which enables customers to get instant information.
The Innova 3140E detects the cause of engine light warnings on both domestic and foreign cars regardless of their size.
This OBD2 scanner has freeze frame feature, which means that it can show the conditions of the engine such as fuel trim, at the time the malfunction lamp indicator was set.
The patented all-in-one screen displays 25 types of information in three languages that include English, French, and Spanish.
Battery life indicator
On the LED screen, it has a battery indicator icon that alerts the user once the batteries need replacement.
- One can diagnose or test the engine depending on the make or model of the vehicle.
- Innova 3140E gives an accurate descriptive diagnosis.
- This scanner does not support live graphing.
- Batteries can drain quickly if one accidentally leaves the unit running.
- It does not come with a PC adopter thus the customer has to buy one separately.