The onboard diagnostic scanner diagnoses technical problems in your vehicle before it breaks down. These applications help by directly pointing where the problems lie.
However, you might easily be overwhelmed by numerous diagnostic scanners out there. To make it easy for you, we have reviewed the 7 best OBD2 apps that are worth your consideration.
Best OBD2 Apps for Android
1. Torque Pro
Torque Pro shows any problems occurring in your vehicle. You can use it in conjunction with the Track Record to record your journey. This OBD2 app is very useful in bestowing information on the horsepower, dynamometer, car emissions and its influence on the environment.
- Very effective in repairing your car and minimizing cost
- Improve the functionality of your car
- Has alarms to alert you in case of a problem
- Displays temperature transmissions
- Uses various color schemes to show you the condition of your car
- The app uses GPS and can help you know where the car was at a specific time
- The app is very expensive
HobDrive runs on desktop PC’s, laptops, Android phones, and tablets.
- Give full details on fuel consumption, distance, time spent on the traffic jam, and total runtime
- Precise fuel consumption analysis and calculations
- Can be set in HUD mode
- Run on any platform that has a .net framework
- Has a touch-friendly fluid user interface
- Route planning
- Flexible visual layouts
- It is blurry on devices with high resolution
- Has problems in connecting via Bluetooth
- It is somehow unstable
3. OBD Car Doctor Pro
OBD Car Doctor Pro reads all data sent via your OBD adapter and shows you real-time information on your car engine and other parameters including pressure, speed, the angle of rotation, and temperature among other sensor data supported by your vehicle.
- Give real-time car indicators on speed, temperature, and pressure
- Draw charts of your car’s functionality using real-time data
- Warn in case your engine has problems
- Read and record multiple parameters
- GPS supported
- Very selective of adapters and might reject cheap ones
- Cleaning up errors requires additional guided manipulations
- It has the poor Bluetooth connection
4. Carista OBD2
Carista OBD2 allows you to personalize your car by improving electronic options. You can use the app to test vehicle errors and delete any existing code errors and transmissions.
- Check engine light
- It is compatible with all vehicles manufactured after 2000
- It gives you advanced manufacturer diagnostics such as navigation, ABS, and airbag
- You can use the app to customize your car such as setting the headlights to turn on automatically
- It warns you in case of engine overheating hence allowing you to control the temperatures.
- Notorious for bringing connection error when you are saving changes
- It doesn’t support all adapters
Keep Reading for More Bonus!
Best OBD2 Apps for iPhone
If you have an iPhone, there are also several universal OBD apps you can try. These include
1. OBD Auto Doctor
OBD Auto Doctor is considered the best OBD app for iPhones as it helps you interact with your car’s OBD system easily.
- Give detail fuel consumption rate hence allowing you save money
- Give clear view test emission preparedness and advanced diagnostic
- It is timely in providing you with anomalies on your OBD system
- Support sending diagnostic data via email
- You have the option of viewing either graphical or numerical diagnostic information
- It has issues connecting with adapters labeled ELM327 v2.1
- It is not accurate in providing fuel consumption rates on diesel vehicles
2. EOBD Facile
EOBD Facile allows you to connect your iPhone or iPad with your car and check the condition of the OBD system.
- Help check the engine light
- Create and record GPS data
- Monitor manufacturer code errors
- Display all engine code errors and allows you to check their meaning
- Sometimes it fails to connect
- It is NOT compatible with all cars
- You have to buy the app otherwise the free app is completely non-functional
3. Engine Link
You can connect Engine Link to your vehicle either using an adapter or Bluetooth connection.
- Shows you the car’s condition in real time
- Effective in tracking emissions
- You can choose which data you want to view and turn off all other data
- It is very efficient in monitoring fuel consumption
- You can log in using your email
- You can use the app to customize your dashboard
- Poor Wi-Fi connectivity
- It has issues with language support
- It is choosy when it comes to adapter selection
When choosing OBD scanner app for your vehicle, you must first determine its compatibility with your car. You must also check its ability to support different adapters or its Bluetooth connection capabilities.
Best OBD Scanner for Android
From the above list, the Carista OBD2 app is the best since it supports a wide range of car models. Unlike other android apps, it gives you extended manufacturer diagnostics which is an added advantage. In addition, it keeps running on background and sending you a warning in case a problem is detected.
Best OBD Scanner for iPhone
The OBD Auto Doctor is the best when it comes to iPhone OBD scanner apps. This app gives you the freedom to turn the engine indicator on and off and also control your car in real time. To ensure that you are notified of any underlying problems with your car, the app comes with over 1400 alarm tones.
Bonus: If you want a tool for both Android and iOS, BlueDrive Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner is the best