Which is the best OBD2 app for your car? We have reviewed the 15 best OBD2 apps (for iOS / Android) and recommend the compatible adapter for you.
Check it out NOW.
Taking the best OBD2 App for your Android/iOS device will enable you to have the most benefit from your OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter.
While many OBD2 Bluetooth adapters come with their own apps, some allow you to use third-party OBD2 apps. It is very interesting since what you can do with the scan tool depends largely on the app you pair.
Which is the best OBD2 app for your car? and
What is the best compatible adapter for each app?
To make it easy for you, we have picked and compared the best OBD2 apps for iPhone / Android that are worth your consideration in the table below.
Table of Contents
- 1 BEST OBD2 App: Editor’s Top 2 Picks Comparison Chart
- 2 Best OBD2 App: Top 15 Picks for iPhone, iPad (iOS), and Android
- 2.1 #1. OBD Fusion: The Best OBD2 App for iPhone – Editor’s Pick
- 2.2 #2. OBD Auto Doctor OBD2 App for iPhone
- 2.3 #3. DashCommand
- 2.4 #4. BlueDriver
- 2.5 #5. Carista OBD2 App
- 2.6 #6. GOFAR
- 2.7 #7. EOBD Facile
- 2.8 #8. Engine Link
- 2.9 #9. Torque Pro: The Best Android OBD2 App – Editor’s Pick
- 2.10 #10. inCarDoc Pro
- 2.11 #11. OBDLink App
- 2.12 #12. Car Scanner ELM
- 2.13 #13. Torque Lite
- 2.14 #14. Scan Master for ELM327
- 2.15 #15. HobDrive
- 3 Best OBD2 App Recommendations
BEST OBD2 App: Editor’s Top 2 Picks Comparison Chart
OBD Fusion (Best OBD2 App for iOS)
Torque Pro (Best Android OBD2 App)
4.7 / 5
4.2 / 5
|Read and Clear MIL||✔||✔|
|Real-time GPS tracking||✔||✔|
|Shows Battery Voltage||✔||--|
|Shows Horsepower Info.||--||✔|
|Massive DTC codes||✔||✔|
|Best Compatible Adapter|
BAFX Products for iOS devices
Veepeak OBDCheck BLE for Android
Want something more than that?
Read the detailed review below for the 8 best OBD2 apps for iPhone, iPad (iOS devices) and 7 ones for Android smartphones and tablets.
Best OBD2 App: Top 15 Picks for iPhone, iPad (iOS), and Android
If you have an iOS device, there are also several universal OBD apps you can try. These include OBD Auto Doctor, OBD Fusion, DashCommand, Bluedriver, Carista OBD2, GOFAR, EOBD Facile, and Engine Link.
But what’s the best OBD App for iPhone? Let’s see the first 8 apps in the list below!
#1. OBD Fusion: The Best OBD2 App for iPhone – Editor’s Pick
OBD Fusion is famous not only among DIYers but mechanics as well because of its compatibility with all OBD2 and EOBD compliant cars and enhanced features it offers.
It won’t be wrong to say that OBD Fusion is a car diagnostic app as it can process data 100 times a second.
We believe that OBD Fusion is the best OBD2 app for iPhone, iPad (iOS devices).
You can check engine light errors and clear them, prepare diagnostic reports, measure performance, see battery voltage, customize the dashboard, and see multiple sensor data from this paid software.
- Supports more than 150 PIDs.
- Stores reports and even allow you to email them.
- Real-time GPS tracking and even allows you to find your car in offline mode.
- Shows real-time graphs that you can upload to the Dropbox.
- GPS drains phone battery quickly.
- The software doesn’t offer all the features to all the adapters.
We recommend this iPhone OBD2 app to people who want to keep their car’s engine running and in good shape using iOS devices. It’s professional and offers many features.
OBD Fusion works best with the BAFX Products for iOS devices. It will unlock many features and will run smoothly with this scanner.
#2. OBD Auto Doctor OBD2 App for iPhone
OBD Auto Doctor is considered as one of the best OBD apps for iPhones since it helps you interact with your car’s OBD system easily.
- Give detail fuel consumption rate hence allowing you to save money
- Give clear view test emission preparedness and advanced diagnostic
- This car code reader app is timely in providing you with anomalies on your OBD system
- Support sending diagnostic data via email
- You have the option of viewing either graphical or numerical diagnostic information
- It may have issues connecting with adapters labeled ELM327 v2.1
- May not be accurate in providing fuel consumption rates on diesel vehicles
Compatible OBD2 Adapter
Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner plays well and becomes very helpful when having OBD Auto Doctor installed in it.
DashCommand holds the title of being the four-time SEMA Global Media Award Winner. This app has enhanced performance and is capable of turning your iPhone or iPad into an engine data screen.
You will be able to see engine-related information such as torque, pressure. etc. With this car diagnostic software, you can keep an eye out on gas consumption and improve your car’s gas mileage.
DashCommand is also one of the best Bluetooth OBD2 apps that allow users to customize the dashboard and keep the most used features on the top for convenience.
DashCommand lets you use many features such as monitoring acceleration, analyzing brake performance, checking and clearing DTC trouble codes, and performing data logging.
One amazing feature of this OBD2 software is the trip information. With this feature, you can monitor the start/end time of journeys including the distance covered.
- Fast at showing results
- Customization makes it easy to use
- Does not take a lot of space (size 37.8 MBs)
- The customer support is excellent
- Doesn’t work well with 8.0 and older iOS version.
- Connectivity issues in elm327.
DashCommand is a good choice to turn your mobile devices into a scan tool. This is one of the best OBD2 iPhone apps for Bluetooth connection.
To make the best of this OBD2 iPhone software, use it with Veepeak OBDCheck BLE for iOS.
Bluedriver is also one of the best OBDII apps for iPhone, for many, as it’s free to use.
With the Bluedriver car diagnostic app, you can read and clear codes, freeze frame data, see live data and perform enhanced diagnostics which includes reading and clearing airbag codes, ABS and transmission codes as well.
When you install Bluedriver on your iOS compatible devices, you will be able to check engine light trouble codes, perform smog tests, and even find verified fixes from its database that contains 6.6 million fixes.
Plus, it’s compatibility with Android as well.
- The Bluedriver car diagnostic tool app lets you send messages to the manufacturer.
- Exports pdf reports.
- No add-ons to worry about.
- Global compatibility.
- Updates are free and released regularly.
- Automatically connects to Android and iOS devices.
- The auto diagnostic app for iPhone is a non-updated software that might freeze many times.
- It’s great as it’s free and easy to use and offers some amazing features as well.
This OBD2 Scanner app works best on the Bluedriver OBD2 Adapter.
#5. Carista OBD2 App
The Carista OBD2 lets you use basic OBD2 features for free but to use the advanced features, such as TPMS, customization, coding, ECU, EPB, and ABS/Airbag, you must buy the software.
If you do not want to buy the vehicle diagnostics app, you can still perform functions like reset engine light codes, see live data, smog test, using the free tool.
However, the main aim of Carista OBD2 is to offer you a professional automotive diagnostic software that can perform advanced features including ABS, airbag, and navigation in models including SEAT, Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda (VAG), Mini, BMW, Toyota, Scion, and Lexus.
Other advanced features include auto-locking doors, see ECU information in detail and perform service reset as well.
This auto diagnostic app supports all OBD2 models that were manufactured after 2000.
- Offers customization options.
- Excellent customer support.
- 1st month is free if you use with the Carista adapter.
- Generates overheating message if the engine is heating.
- Sometimes shows connectivity error in some vehicles.
- A little expensive than other options
Though the price is a little bit high, Carista OBD2 is a great OBD2 iOS app with a number of advanced functions.
Carista OBD2 works flawlessly when connected to the Carista OBD2 Adapter for iOS devices.
GOFAR is an IRS-compliant telematics device that syncs with a car’s OBD2 port adapter. It monitors car health and track mileage.
GOFAR includes free mobile software and digital log that fully automates work-related car expenses. It is compatible with iOS and Android smartphones.
The GOFAR OBD Bluetooth is paired with a dashboard-mounted device called Ray that delivers real-time driver feedback to help you save up to 30% on fuel.
- This OBD2 iOS app uses multi-method IRS-compliant mileage tracking to help you save on taxes
- Finds your engine’s sweet spot and gives you real-time feedback to improve your gas mileage and maintain car health
- Plain English descriptions of 300+ common OBD2 DTC / Fault Codes that will help you save time and money
- Sends reminders for checking tire pressure, tire rotation, tire tread, insurance and registration
- Comes with a global leaderboard to compete with others in economy driving
- Works in any petrol, diesel or hybrid since 2007 and many earlier car models
- Stylish and unobtrusive – GOFAR won a 2016 Good Design Award
- Not free, but just a one-off cost with no ongoing fees
GOFAR gives you anything that an OBD app for iOS can do.
#7. EOBD Facile
EOBD Facile allows you to connect your iPhone or iPad with your car and check the condition of the OBD system.
- Help check the engine light
- Create and record GPS data
- Monitor manufacturer code errors
- Display all engine code errors and allows you to check their meaning
- Sometimes it fails to connect
- It is NOT compatible with all cars
- You have to buy the car diagnostic software otherwise the free version is completely non-functional
Compatible OBD2 Adapter
The EOBD Facile is greatly compatible with VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE for iOS.
#8. Engine Link
You can connect Engine Link to your vehicle either using an adapter or Bluetooth connection.
- The engine diagnostic app can show you the car’s condition in real time
- Effective in tracking emissions
- You can choose which data you want to view and turn off all other data
- This OBD2 Bluetooth app is very efficient in monitoring fuel consumption
- You can log in using your email
- You can use Engine Link to customize your dashboard
- Possible Wi-Fi connectivity problems
- This Bluetooth iPhone app may have issues with language support
- It is choosy when it comes to adapter selection
Engine Link is compatible with many adapters. But the wsiiroon Car WIFI OBD2 Adapter best suits it.
A video about Engine Link OBD2 App:
BEST OBD2 APP: TOP 7 PICKS FOR ANDROID DEVICES
With one of the Android OBD2 apps below, you can turn your Android devices into a car scan tool. The OBD apps in the list are OBD Car Doctor Pro, Torque Pro, OBDLink, Car Scanner ELM OBD2., Torque Lite, Scan Master, and HobDrive.
So, what is the best OBD App for Android? Let’s have a look!
#9. Torque Pro: The Best Android OBD2 App – Editor’s Pick
Torque Pro shows any problems occurring in your vehicle. You can use it in conjunction with the Track Record to record your journey.
This OBD2 car diagnostic app for Android is very useful in bestowing information on the horsepower, dynamometer, car emissions and its influence on the environment.
We highly recommend Torque Pro as the best Android OBD2 App for your vehicles.
- The Torque Pro is very effective in repairing your car and minimizing cost
- Improve the functionality of your car
- Has alarms to alert you in case of a problem
- Displays temperature transmissions
- Uses various color schemes to show you the condition of your car
- Torque Pro uses GPS and can help you know where the car was at a specific time
- This OBD2 Software for Android is not free.
Torque Pro App Bluetooth Compatible Adapter
One of the best OBD2 adapters compatible with this automobile code reader app is Veepeak OBDCheck BLE 4.0 Bluetooth Scanner.
#10. inCarDoc Pro
inCarDoc Pro is a vehicle diagnostic app that reads all data sent via your OBD adapter.
Also, this Android OBD2 app can show you real-time information on your car engine and other parameters including pressure, speed, the angle of rotation, and temperature among other sensor data supported by your vehicle.
- Give real-time car indicators on speed, temperature, and pressure
- Draw charts of your car’s functionality using real-time data
- Warn in case your engine has problems
- Read and record multiple parameters
- GPS supported
- Very selective of adapters and might reject cheap ones
- Cleaning up errors requires additional guided manipulations
- It has possible issues with Bluetooth connection
inCarDoc Pro is one of the best OBD2 Android apps for your car today.
inCarDoc Pro can work well on most OBD2 Adapters, one of which is Foseal WIFI OBD2 OBD2 Car Scan Tool for Android.
#11. OBDLink App
A lot of people think that since the OBDLink only supports OBDLink scanners, it’s not the best OBD2 app for Android but that’s not true.
OBDLink offers complete customization on the dashboard and lets you choose the feature that you use the most.
What makes OBDLink one of the best OBD2 apps for Android is its ability to read live data, perform emission tests, perform GPS tracking, display oxygen sensor results, record trip information, and perform onboard testing.
- Email diagnostic reports directly.
- Works very quick and can help you save time.
- Is very easy to use thanks to customization options.
- Free unlimited updates.
- Displays over 90 parameters in real-time data.
- Hangs in a few cars.
- Supports version 4.0.3 and up only.
If you have an OBDLink Adapter, the OBDLink is the best choice for you.
Compatible OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
In fact, OBDLink is an exclusive software and supporting only OBDLink adapters, which is the reason why it is so powerful and compatible.
This OBD2 Android app works with the following OBDLink adapters:
The OBDLink works lag-free when used with OBDLink MX for Android and Windows.
#12. Car Scanner ELM
Car scanner ELM OBD2 is also a great OBD2 app for Android for many reasons. It offers a plethora of features and is free to download and use.
Car Scanner ELM OBD2 can help check faults in the engine and sensors like a pro. You can customize the dashboard, add custom PIDs, save DTC codes, monitor many live tests, and perform emissions test.
The highlight of this Bluetooth OBD2 app is its HUD mode feature that projects the data onto the windshield.
This ELM 327 app unlocks a few extra features for premium brands such as Toyota, Nissan, Chevrolet, KIA, Mazda, GM, and Mitsubishi.
- Free to use with good features.
- Shows accurate acceleration measurements.
- No pop-up ads.
- Easy to use with fast processing
- Regular updates are released.
- Doesn’t offer many advanced features such as key programming.
The Car Scanner ELM OBD2 is one of the best ELM327 apps that offers many basic and a few advanced features. And it’s completely free of cost.
If you want a free OBD2 software then Car Scanner ELM OBD2 can be a good pick.
Compatible OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
This car scanner app is meant to work efficiently with Veepeak mini Bluetooth Adapter.
#13. Torque Lite
Torque Lite is meant to work with many car brands as it is one of the most popular apps on the market. It is free to download and use this software.
The OBD diagnostic interface app offers many basic features on the free version. You must purchase the paid version to use advanced features.
With Torque Lite, the free version of the Torque OBD App for Android, you can check and clear DTCs, export files in CSV format, check engine performance-related data, check car speed at night with HUD mode, perform data logging, and customize dashboard as well.
However, the free version might show some bugs in a few car brands such as Subaru, Chrysler, and Nissan.
This is why it’s a good idea to get your hands on the paid version.
The advanced features provided by Torque Lite include:
- Horsepower data
- Track miles covered
- Measure torque
- Knockout sensor support
- See engine temperature (Gm Ford only).
- Perform turbo boost.
- The free version offers many basic features.
- No ads in the paid version.
- Works very quickly.
- The paid version supports more cars than the free version.
- Constant updates available.
- Freezes in Galaxy Tab and HTC Evo 4.
- Can be a bit hard to use due to too many dials.
Torque Lite is said to support many cheap Bluetooth adapters and premium ones as well. If you want to use a free OBD2 app on your Android device to perform basic features then Torque Lite is for you.
Compatible OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
It is said to work efficiently with Kitbest Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter for Android Devices.
#14. Scan Master for ELM327
Scan Master might not very popular but it’s really great for Android devices. The software is easy to use and works very well.
To use the complete features of Scan Master, you must buy the pro version.
The Lite (free) version lets you check vehicle information (VIN, CVN), check, clear and store trouble codes, freeze frame data, see live data stream and MIL status.
The pro version offers more features that are not accessible in the LITE version.
- The free version offers basic OBD2 features.
- It is easy to use.
- Shows graphical representation of data.
- Offers data recording option.
- Customer support is not good.
- Compatibility issues with some devices.
Scan Master is good to use only if you want to use basic features on your Android phone.
Compatible OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
It is quite a basic vehicle diagnostic app and is compatible with only a few adapters such as:
- BAFX Products for Android
- OBDLink MX
- OBDLink LX
Scan Master processes faster when used with BAFX Products for Android.
HobDrive runs on desktop PC’s, laptops, Android phones, and tablets.
- The OBD reader app gives full details on fuel consumption, distance, time spent on the traffic jam, and total runtime
- Precise fuel consumption analysis and calculations
- Can be set in HUD mode
- Runs on any platform that has a .net framework
- Has a touch-friendly fluid user interface
- Route planning
- Flexible visual layouts
- This OBD Android App is blurry on devices with high resolution
- Has possible problems in connecting via Bluetooth
- It is somehow unstable
Compatible OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
HobDrive is compatible with several OBD2 Adapters. I would recommend using the Generic ELM327 WiFi OBD2 Scanner for Android.
Best OBD2 App Recommendations
When choosing an OBD scanner app for your vehicle, you must first determine its compatibility with your car. You must also check its ability to support different adapters or Bluetooth connection capabilities.
Best iPhone OBD2 App
The OBD Fusion is highly recommended when it comes to OBD2 apps for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
With this OBD2 App installed on your iOS devices, you can check engine light errors and clear them, prepare diagnostic reports, measure performance, see battery voltage, customize the dashboard, and see multiple sensor data from this paid app.
The OBD Fusion best suits BAFX Products Adapter for iOS devices.
Best Android OBD2 App
From the above list, the Torque Pro is the perfect OBD2 software for Android since it supports a wide range of car models and offers a variety of functions.
Torque Pro is very useful in bestowing information on the horsepower, dynamometer, car emissions and its influence on the environment. It works best on a VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth Adapter.