ABS code readers are special scan tools which read fault codes and run other diagnostics on Anti-lock Brake Systems respectively. If your ABS warning light is on, you need to have an ABS code reader to identify the faults which caused the light to turn on.
There are several ABS code readers / Scanners available in the market. Thus, it can be a bit tricky for you to choose the one which is perfect for you in every respect.
It is nuisance to see a number of ABS code readers available and not being able to make an informed choice.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best ABS Code Readers Review
- 1.1 #1. Autel MaxiLink ML619 ABS Code Scanner
- 1.2 #2. Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro All System OBDII Scanner
- 1.3 #3. Bluedriver Professional Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool
- 1.4 #4. Innova 3100j SRS EVAP Freeze Frame ABS Code Reader
- 1.5 #5. Launch CRP129 SRS EPB SAS ABS Scanner with OIL Service Light Resets
- 1.6 #6. Launch Creader VII+ (CRP123) SRS Transmission and Engine ABS OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool
- 1.7 #7. ANCEL FX4000 All System Automotive OBD2 Scanner for ABS EPB TPMS Transmission ESP SAS
- 2 Editor’s Top 3 Picks of ABS Code Readers Comparison Chart
- 3 The Bottom Line
Best ABS Code Readers Review
#1. Autel MaxiLink ML619 ABS Code Scanner
Autel Maxilink ML619 ABS Code reader can be updated and upgraded using the Internet. It is ideal for detecting faults on anti-lock brakes ABS, supplemental restraint systems, and airbag systems.
Autel Maxilink ML619 diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996. It also works on newer major vehicle models including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, VW, Mercedes, BMW, etc.
- It turns off Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and ABS warning lights.
- It retrieves generic, manufacturer specific codes and pending codes.
- Views freeze frame data
- Reads, stores, and playbacks live PCM data stream and live sensor data
- Graphs data
- Prints data via PC
- For models before 2002, you need an additional connector cable.
- It doesn’t support MAC OS.
- It doesn’t work for electric cars.
Who is it for?
If you have a vehicle model compatible with this tool and you don’t want to spend too much, then the ML619 is a good choice. It is a good choice for DIY-ers.
#2. Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro All System OBDII Scanner
Autel MaxiDiag MD 808 is a good choice as an ABS code reader. It scans all available vehicle systems, not just the engine, ABS, SRS and Transmission.
This ABS code reader is compatible with domestic, Asian and European vehicles, 1996. It has a global OBD II coverage for U.S. domestic, Asian and European makes and models.
- Read and clear trouble codes
- Support oil service reset
- Diesel particulate service including forced regeneration
- Live Data functions for Engine, Transmission, ABS, and Airbag (SRS) systems
- control and test BMS/Oil Reset/ SRS/EPB/DPF systems
- Scanning speed is a lit bit slow
- The software is a little confusing
- The instruction manual is a bit vague
Who Is It Built For?
Autel MD808 Pro ABS scanner will give most DIY auto mechanics a good grasp in determining a good pathway in fixing their cars.
#3. Bluedriver Professional Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool
BlueDriver has an amazing 32-foot range, and its app is available on both Android and iOS platforms. Its Freeze Frame feature delivers a slice of data. Moreover, the app can display speed, engine RPMs, and other data as numbers or graphics gauges.
It performs pre-inspection emissions checking and interprets the specialty codes for BMW/Mini and Toyota vehicles. Nissan’s codes are being added. It can count engine misfires on many newer cars, and the reports can be saved as PDFs.
- Can read and clear CEL codes
- Can read and clear enhanced codes: like ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.
- Repair Reports: Code Definition, Possible Causes, Reported Fixes
- Freeze Frame: Allows vehicle snapshot once a code is stored
- Mode 6: Advanced test results (like misfire counts)
- Smog Check: Check if the car is ready for a smog test
- Live Data: Display multiple PIDs as a graph, gauge, or digital readout
- The computerized voice can be annoying at times.
- It also doesn’t give detailed info for the codes.
- The layout is a little confusing
Who Is It Built For?
The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool is an excellent tool for DIY car mechanics and comes at a relatively cheap price.
#4. Innova 3100j SRS EVAP Freeze Frame ABS Code Reader
A simple and affordable ABS scan tool, the INNOVA 3100j allows you to diagnose your car’s problems. It accesses onboard systems safely and reads codes.
With the help of Innova 3100j, you can quickly reveal the cause of “Check Engine” light warnings. It works for any 1996 and newer OBD2 car, light truck, SUV, and hybrids.
- Can read and erase ABS & SRS light trouble codes.
- Added features of battery & alternator tests
- Can check the performance of a vehicle’s charging system.
- The oil reset feature provides step-by-step reset procedures.
- The free updates ensure that the tools are always up-to-date.
- The instructions for the code reader are pretty vague.
- There is an associated subscription fee to access the site.
- Slow response time during operation
Who Is It Built For?
INNOVA 3100j is designed with easy handheld and easy to operate. It is suitable for technicians, DIY-ers, and auto shop owners.
#5. Launch CRP129 SRS EPB SAS ABS Scanner with OIL Service Light Resets
The Launch CRP 129 is an OBD2 scanner with many functions. It works for the most important car systems, including:
- ENG/AT/ABS/SRS/ 4 basic systems
- Reset functions for EPB/SAS/Oil Service Light
This reader works on over 40 1996 US-based, 2000 European-based and newer OBD2/EOBD protocol vehicles. It has an advanced system output and graphics display with OBDII Data Stream. It makes the analysis of diagnostic information relatively easy while you are repairing and adjusting the vehicle.
- It has a one year manufacturer’s warranty. You can access all the latest updates online.
- Allows the diagnosis of 4 systems; Engine, Transmission, ABS, Airbag
- Resets functions like oil reset, EPB reset and SAS reset
- Applicable for most vehicles which match OBDII standard after 1996
- Supports all ten test modes of OBDII
- Reads and clear DTC
- Supports online upgrade
- It cannot work on diesel trucks but can work for some 12v diesel vehicles.
- It needs an additional BENZ 38 pin connector and BMW 20 pin connector
- Does not show any emissions information
Who Is It Built For?
Launch CRP129 OBDII is an automotive Diagnostic Tool for mechanics and professionals. It can diagnose tens of vehicles within an hour, though that depends on your activeness.
#6. Launch Creader VII+ (CRP123) SRS Transmission and Engine ABS OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool
Launch Creader VII+ can support four systems i.e. Engine/Transmission/ABS/ Airbag System. It has the following features:
- DTC help and service information
- DTC Reading and Clearing Displays
- Supports all 10 test modes of OBDII protocol
- Test Oxygen sensor and carbon canister
- OBDII Data Stream Graphic Display
Launch Creader VII+ covers more than 20 main car models in America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific regions. It only supports the cars after 2006 for ENG/AT/ABS/SRS diagnosis. It supports all 10 test modes of OBDII protocol.
- Provides DTC help and service information tests Oxygen sensor and carbon canister
- Tests Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag
- Convenient onboard diagnosis
- Portable design making
- Efficient and effective for troubleshooting
- The software is only compatible with PC with Windows XP, Windows 7 & 8 system
- Not compatible with iOS
- has NO RESET FUNCTIONS for the Engine/Transmission/ABS/SRS diagnosis
Who Is It Built For?
Launch Creader VII+ (CRP123) is helpful for both DIY-er car mechanics as well as professional auto-repair workshops.
#7. ANCEL FX4000 All System Automotive OBD2 Scanner for ABS EPB TPMS Transmission ESP SAS
This powerful scan tool is designed to check Engine Transmission, ABS, SRS (Airbag), EPB, Oil service reset, SAS Steering Angle, and other system diagnostics.
ANCEL FX4000 supports over 40 global car brands after 1996 US, 2001 European, 2003 Asian and newer OBD2/EOBD vehicles.
- Unique FN hotkey
- Multi-Language available
- Doesn’t require a battery or charger
- The high definition TFT screen
- Lifetime free updates online
- Cannot do advanced functions such as reset and programming
- Can do oil light reset on some car models, not on all
- Cannot read version information with USB mode
- This automotive scanner can only diagnose 12v cars and 12v trucks.
Who Is It Built For?
Ancel F4000 code reader efficiently provides comprehensive vehicle diagnostics and analysis. So, if you want a professional ABS scanner to help you with car problems, this is the one.
Editor’s Top 3 Picks of ABS Code Readers Comparison Chart
Autel MaxiLink ML619 SRS ABS Code Reader
INNOVA 3100J Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android
4.4 / 5
4.3 / 5
4.4 / 5
|Pros||+This scanner is able to read and clear engine trouble codes.|
+ It can be used as an on-board additional accessory.
+The gadget is compatible with all car model released after 1996
+It is compatible with multiple languages such as English, French and Spanish
|+Having battery & alternator tests features|
+Can work for any brands made after 1996.
+It has a clear and wide 480 x 840 color display.
+Fairly easy to use.
+Having a free updates ensure that the tools are always up-to-date.
|+This scan tool can be connected to both Apple and Android mobile devices.|
+It reads ABS codes, SRS (Airbag) codes and Transmission codes.
+The device has over 6.6 million fixes that have been verified by certified auto-technicians.
+It clearly has more functions than other scanners and is sold at a reasonable price.
|Cons||+ It only use a 2.4 Inch screen making it hard to read|
+Sometime it is hard to update due to unable to connect to the website
|+The instructions for the code reader are pretty vague.|
+Having a slow respond time during operations
|+The tool can’t be used to read codes without a phone or tablet connected via Bluetooth.|
+Its unique Enhanced Diagnostics (ED) feature is not offered for all vehicle brands.
|Bottom line||If you have a vehicle model compatible with this tool and you don’t want to spend too much, then the ML619 is a good choice||Having a handheld design and an easy operations system. This Code Reader is suitable for technicians, DIY-ers, and auto shop owners.||An excellent tool for DIY car mechanics and comes at a relatively cheap price|
The Bottom Line
In the above article, I have discussed the features and the pros and cons of the 7 ABS code readers which I found to be the best among several available as per my opinion.
You can compare the ABS code readers and choose the one which is tailored perfectly to your needs!