The iCarsoft i980 is a user-friendly and easy to use diagnostic scanner enabling you to read and reset fault codes that are related to the Check Engines Light.
The iCarsoft i980 accesses control units of the Mercedes Benz cars via an OBD2 port. This tool works on Mercedes Benz cars that were manufactured after 1996.
On the W208 and W210 chassis, the scanner is limited to ECU as those chassis only require a 38 pin connector for complex diagnosis. However, on the newest models, the tool can access several major units.
The iCarsoft i980 is a very comprehensive tool for the Mercedes Benz. That is the reason why we are reviewing it.
A video about iCarsoft i980 for Mercedes:
The tool is specifically made for the Mercedes Benz. It covers a majority of the models manufactured after the year 2000 which do not require the 38 pin connector.
Examples of Mercedes Benz models compatible with iCarsoft i980:
- C-Class: W203
- E-Class: W207, W212, and W203. There is no support for W210 other than ECU.
- A-Class: 168
- S-Class: 221, 220
- CL-Class: 216, 215
- GL-Class: W166, W164
- SLK-Class: 172, 171
- CLK-Class: W209
- CLS-Class: W218, W219
- SL-Class: 231, 230
- R-Class 251
- M-Class: 166, 164, 163
iCarsoft early models like i980 for Mercedes-Benz, i910 for BMW, i930 Landover /Jaguar have been on the market for long, but iCarsoft i980 was made for the latest version of the Mercedes Benz.
Display vs. Software
The iCarsoft i980 display is 2.8’ LCD screen full color with 302*240 megapixels display with contrasts adjustment. The software used is the OBD2.
Features of iCarsoft i980
- Tire Pressure monitor and Air Bag Control Unit.
- Engine manual and auto transmission
- Transmission Control Unit and Headlights
- Seat Control Modules, Door Control Units, Shifter Module and Airmatic Suspension
- Accessory Control Module
- Air-lock Brake Systems.
- Air conditioning and climate control systems
- Electronic Selector modules and ATA functions.
- Pneumatic System Equipment
- D2b Audio Gateway and Commands.
- SAM (Signal Acquisition) Modules.
- Headlamp range adjustment.
- Electronic Ignition system
- RVC and various roof modules.
- Automatic Clutch System.
What Are The Specifications?
The product dimensions is 9.4 x 5.6 x 2.4 inches (135mm (L) x 85 mm (W) x 26mm H). It only weighs 10.6 ounces.
The power is 8V-24V and the operating temperature is from 20C to 75C. It also has 2.0 USB High-Speed upgrade (Able to upgrade the firmware from Internet).
iCarsoft i980 supports all Mercedes Vehicles made after 2000. However, it only supports protocols of EOBD and OBD2, except for OBD1.
This scan tool also reads and clears DTC including the Mercedes Benz manufacturer diagnostic trouble codes. It can view and graph live data for color graphing with a fast refresh rate for live data and better graphing readings.
The iCarsoft can do all the component testing and clears adaptation including reseting oils service light, checking engine light, service mileage and service intervals, recalibrating and replacing brake pads safely.
It supports all the ten test modes of the new J1979 –OBD2 respects which include freeze frame, live data, MIL, I and M readiness, vehicle VIN information and O2 Monitoring/ Testing.
Dutch, German and English are supported by this scanner. You also have a lifetime free software updates online when you buy it. ( Only available at Total Car diagnostics but on other sites, the customers get only one year).
The iCarsoft i980 Mercedes supports you to do a lot of important tests with your Mercedes, such as:
- O2 Sensor Testing– allows viewing and retrieval of O2 sensor testing results for the most recently carried test from the vehicle onboard the computer.
- Vehicle Information- displays the VIN, (CVN) and other tests and information done on the vehicle.
- Freeze Frame– When a related emission fault happens/occurs certain conditions of the vehicle are recorded by the onboard vehicle computer.
- Evap Test System- allows initiating a leak kind of test for the EVAP vehicle system. Before you use the system test function, first refer to the vehicle service repairing manual and determine the procedures which are necessary to stop the test.
- On-Board Monitoring- utilized to read results of the onboard diagnostics monitoring test for certain specific systems.
- Data stream- lets you read the live graphics with a high refreshing rate.
- The scanner reads not only the ECU but the Airbag controlling unit on all the Mercedes Benz cars.
Comparison of Similar Products
iCarSoft Mercedes/Smart MB II
iCarsoft Smart MB 2 reads and clears error codes and read data streams of the system such as ABS, transmission, instrument cluster, airbag, air-conditioning, and Airmatic.
It resets brake pad, oil brakes, a sensor of the steering, oil light and electronic control transmission.
Testing I/M readiness monitor the O2 sensors and performing an EVAP testing is a noteworthy feature of this scan tool.
It features a 4.0 inches LCD display. This multi-lingual tool supports French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese and English.
Let’s take a look at the comparison table of the products.
2.8’ LCD screen full
4.0 inches LCD display
German , English, Dutch
Italian, French, German, English, Dutch, Russian, Portuguese and Spanish.
Reads and resets codes
Reads and clears all error codes
Supports SL Class231,230, CLK-Class 209
As long as you own a Mercedes Benz it is vital to own one of the diagnostic tools we have reviewed that will meet your needs. Therefore, the tool is important as it makes you stop unending visit to the workshops.
The tool is made for car enthusiasts, car beginners, workshop owners and mechanics. I highly recommend the iCarsoft i980 as the best for its diverse features and affordability. Still, it is compatible with a wide range of Mercedes Benz.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Before making a purchase, ask yourself the features that you need as it helps to narrow down the choices in the market.
Come to think of it, one diagnostic at a workshop is equal to the price of the tool. So why don’t you purchase one and save time and money for the same diagnosis that you can do yourself?