So, the wrench light is on and you’re wondering:
- What does the light mean?
- Can I drive with it?
- How to reset it?
Don’t panic! I’ll address all these questions in this article.
Let’s take a closer look at its meaning first!
What Does Wrench Light Mean?
The wrench light comes on when the scheduled maintenance is due soon. It can be an oil change, tire rotation, transmission service, etc.
To keep your vehicle running smoothly and avoid future costly repairs, you should follow the recommended maintenance schedule.
One thing you need to notice if you own a Honda is that you’ll see a maintenance code displayed on your odometer along with the wrench light.
This code is a way to let you know what kind of service your vehicle requires. To understand the specific meaning of the code, you can consult your Honda owner’s manual.
For example, if the code shown is “A1”, it indicates that you need to replace your vehicle’s oil and rotate your tires, check and adjust tire pressure, or have your tires replaced.
I’ve answered the biggest question, “What does it mean?”. In addition, the other million-dollar question that I get the most is “Can I drive with this light?”. I’ll cover that in the next part of this article. Scroll down to see!
Can I Drive with the Wrench Light?
Yes. You can drive with the wrench light. However, it is important to have the recommended maintenance performed as soon as possible.
Driving with the wrench symbol for an extended time can lead to decreased fuel efficiency, increased emissions, and potentially more serious issues down the road.
How to Reset the Wrench Light
Remember, to reset the wrench light, you must address the maintenance issues first. Typically, your mechanic will reset your light after performing a recommended service.
In case you check again and your light has not been reset or you want to handle it on your own, you can follow my steps below.
The procedure for resetting the wrench light on a vehicle varies depending on the make and model.
This article will focus on the way to reset the wrench symbol on Honda and Mazda.
Keep reading to learn more.
How to Reset the Wrench Light on Honda
To reset the wrench light on a Honda, follow these steps:
- Turn on the ignition, but do not start the engine.
- Press the “SEL/RESET” button on the dashboard repeatedly until the oil life indicator is shown.
- Press and hold it for about 10 seconds until the maintenance light and code start blinking.
- Release the button and then press it again for 5 seconds. As soon as the code is removed, the oil life indicator will return to 100%.
- Turn off the ignition and start the car back on. And the wrench light will disappear.
Watch this video to learn exactly how to reset the wrench light on your Honda.
How to Reset the Wrench Light on Mazda
The process for resetting this light may differ slightly depending on the specific model and year of your Mazda.
Here are some general steps that may help to reset the wrench light on a Mazda:
- Turn on the ignition without starting the engine.
- Press the “Home” button
- Reach “Applications” → Go down to “Vehicle Status Monitor”
- Select “Maintenance”. You can see a few warnings such as “Tyre Rotation”, and “Oil Change”.
- Click on them → Select “Reset” → Select “Yes” to confirm.
- Start the engine to ensure the wrench light is no longer illuminated.
Note: If the above steps do not work for your specific Mazda model, I would recommend checking the owner’s manual or contacting your dealership for specific instructions on how to reset the wrench light on your vehicle.
Now that, you know exactly what the wrench light means and how to turn it off.
If the light comes on, remember to take your car to a dealer or repair shop to perform the recommended maintenance schedule.
Do you want to know how to reset the wrench light on other vehicles? Let me know by leaving a comment below.
How To Change Your Oil: A comprehensive guide that helps you to change the oil on your own.
Maintenance Required Light: A well-written article to provide you with the meaning of the maintenance required light and learn how to reset it.