The best motorcycle battery charger does more than just provide power. Many can also maintain a battery long-term, or even restore batteries that have become damaged or sulfated.
Are you looking for the best battery charger for your motorcycle? Check out the ten models below. They represent the best on offer, at a variety of price points. One of them is sure to be the right one for your needs.
But first, let’s check out the editor’s best picks.
|Editor's Picks||Product||Our Rating|
|Best Overall||Battery Tender Junior (021-0123)||9/10|
|Runner Up||Battery Tender Plus||8/10|
|Best Budget Buy||Foval Trickle||9/10|
|Best Value||Black+Decker BM3B||8/10|
|Also Great||MOTOPOWER MP00205A||8/10|
Table of Contents
- 1 Types Of Motorcycle Battery Chargers
- 2 Best Motorcycle Battery Charger
- 2.1 1. Battery Tender Junior (021-0123) 12V Battery Charger
- 2.2 2. Battery Tender Plus 12V 1.25A Battery Charger
- 2.3 3. Foval Trickle Battery Charger 12V
- 2.4 4. Black+Decker BM3B 6V/12V Battery Charger/Maintainer
- 2.5 5. MOTOPOWER MP00205A 12V Battery Charger/Maintainer
- 2.6 6. NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V Battery Charger/Maintainer
- 2.7 7. Schumacher SC1319 6/12V Battery Maintainer
- 2.8 8. BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger/Maintainer
- 2.9 9. NOCO Genius2 6v/12v Battery Charger
- 2.10 10. LST Trickle Battery Charger Automatic Maintainer
- 3 How To Fix the Battery
- 4 Can I Use A Motorcycle Battery Charger On A Car?
- 5 Final Thoughts
Types Of Motorcycle Battery Chargers
As we mentioned in the intro, some chargers just charge, while others maintain or even repair batteries. Before we dig into the reviews, let’s go over some of the different styles of charger. This will help you better understand what kind of charger you need.
Trickle chargers, or battery maintainers, are designed to be hooked up to a fully-charged battery. They provide a small current equal to the battery’s self-discharge rate. This keeps the battery at its full capacity without risking an over-charge.
Float chargers are similar to trickle chargers in that they send a small current to the battery, keeping it at its full capacity. The difference is that a float charger only sends a current when it detects the battery’s capacity has dropped below a given level. It then turns off when the battery is full.
Float chargers are better than trickle chargers for batteries in storage. They have a lower risk of overcharging since they stop sending a current when the battery is full.
If your battery is old or damaged, you may want a battery reconditioner. Also called desulphators or battery restorers, they use a circuit pulse to reduce sulfur deposits within the battery that reduce its capacity.
Automatic chargers feature multiple charging modes. They use internal circuitry to sense the battery’s charge and condition, then choose the best charging mode accordingly. At the least, they’ll combine full charging with float charging. Many also include modes for restoring damaged batteries.
Best Motorcycle Battery Charger
1. Battery Tender Junior (021-0123) 12V Battery Charger
The Battery Tender Junior is a safe and effective way to charge any motorcycle battery. Its automatic cycle prevents overcharging, so you can leave your battery on the charger without a worry.
The Battery Tender Junior has a 4-stage process. This means you can use it to either charge or maintain a battery. When you connect a depleted battery, the Battery Tender Junior will begin Initialization and Bulk Charging. Once it’s full, Float Mode is triggered automatically.
Along with the automatic cycle, the Battery Tender Junior has an 80 hour safety timer. In addition, it features spark-proof connectors with built-in reverse polarity protection. This makes the Battery Tender Junior completely safe and prevents any damage to your battery.
Both alligator clips and ring connectors are available on the Battery Tender Junior. Its flexibility is expanded by its compatibility with multiple chemistries. You can charge any 12-volt lead-acid battery with the Battery Tender Junior.
- Includes protections against reverse polarity and sparking
- Long 12-foot output cord
- Automatic Float Mode prevents overcharging
- Easy to read LED indicators
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
- Flexible and versatile
- Status indicator is very basic (no battery diagnosis)
- Relatively slow charge
2. Battery Tender Plus 12V 1.25A Battery Charger
The Battery Tender Plus has a 1.25-amp charging speed. This charges batteries about twice as fast as most trickle chargers. While it costs more, it’s worth it for those who need to charge batteries quickly.
Charging And Maintaining
You’ll get efficient charging with the Battery Tender Plus. It’s fully automatic, detecting the battery’s charge and switching to Float Mode when it’s full. It also features a temperature sensor and adjusts the charge accordingly for maximum efficiency.
The indicators on the Battery Tender Plus will flash if you connect the clamps incorrectly. The automatic switching system is very responsive, eliminating any worry of overcharging. Spark-proof clamps and rings keep the Battery Tender Plus safe for all users.
Easy To Use
With both rings and clamps, you have options of how to hook up the Battery Tender Plus. It’s a no-hassle, no-worry option thanks to the automatic 4-stage charging. The only potential difficulty could come from the short cables, which don’t give you much room to work with.
- Fast-charging design
- Maintains batteries in storage
- Completely safe for you and your battery
- 4-stage automatic charging program
- Adjusts charge in response to ambient temperature
- 50% more power than Battery Tender Junior
- More expensive than most chargers
- Included cords are relatively short
3. Foval Trickle Battery Charger 12V
For 4-step charging at a great price, look no further than the Foval Trickle Battery Charger. It has the same functionality and safety features as pricier models, and in a portable, convenient package.
Charge And Maintain
The Foval Trickle Battery Charger includes an automatic 4-stage program. It switches smoothly from charging to maintaining. The Infinite Sequential Monitoring on the Foval Trickle Charger lets it adapt easily to what your battery needs.
Unlike other chargers, which only tell you if the battery is charging, the Foval Trickle Charger provides basic diagnostic info. The intuitive display lets you know how much charge your battery has, and also tells you if there are errors or issues with the charge.
Like most battery chargers, the Foval Trickle Charger has spark-proof connections with reverse polarity protection. It checks that the connection is secure before starting to charge. Adaptive programming eliminates concerns about over-charging.
- Great value
- In-depth LEDs give diagnostic info on your battery
- Connect and disconnect quickly and easily
- Adaptive and responsive to battery’s needs
- Able to charge even fully-depleted batteries
- May require 24-48 hours to charge fully depleted battery
- Connections and casing are easy to damage
4. Black+Decker BM3B 6V/12V Battery Charger/Maintainer
Black+Decker is a name you can trust. The BM3B battery charger is reliable, well-built, and designed for convenience.
The Black+Decker BM3B can be used on both 6-volt and 12-volt batteries. This makes it ideal for charging all styles of motorcycle batteries, as well as other personal recreation vehicles. It comes with both alligator clamps and a ring connector for more connection options.
Automatic charging is a key safety feature of the Black+Decker BM3B. It’s ETL certified for safety and includes important protections against short circuits and reverse polarity. The easy to read indicator lights tell you when there’s a problem before it causes damage to the battery.
The Black+Decker BM3B provides up to 1.5 amps of power. This lets it charge a motorcycle battery in as little as 4-5 hours. A no-touch automatic cycle reduces the power when the battery is full so you don’t have to hover over it. We also love the convenience of the mounting bracket.
- Can be used with 12-volt or 6-volt batteries
- ETL certified for safety
- Built-in mounting bracket
- Relatively affordable
- Durable rubberized housing
- Fast charging
- No desulphation or recovery features
- Not ideal for long-term battery maintenance
5. MOTOPOWER MP00205A 12V Battery Charger/Maintainer
Riders on a budget will want to check out the MOTOPOWER MP00205A. It offers the same convenient automatic functions and adapters as more expensive chargers, making it an exceptional value.
You’re not limited to charging motorcycle batteries with the MOTOPOWER MP00205A. It has the capacity to charge any lead-acid battery, including car batteries and even RV batteries. The fully-automatic operation provides hassle-free charging of any 12-volt battery.
The MOTOPOWER MP00205A has multiple levels of safety protection. The charging program is controlled with a micro-processor that detects and prevents overcharging, short circuits, and reverse polarity. In addition, the rings and clamps use spark-free technology.
Few chargers at this price point include recovery features. With the MOTOPOWER MP00205A, you get a Pulse Current Recovery Mode. This restores the battery while charging it, decreasing sulphation and extending its life.
- Certified safe to international standards
- Most affordable option
- Efficient, energy-smart design
- Quick disconnect harness for easier hook-up
- Pulse Current Recovery Mode desulphates and recovers batteries
- No energy drain in Standby Mode
- Slower charging speed
- Not suggested for fully-discharged batteries
6. NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V Battery Charger/Maintainer
The NOCO Genius G3500 is the best motorcycle battery charger and then some. With support for more battery chemistries and capacities, it’s the most versatile model on the list—though you’ll have to pay a bit more for that convenience.
The NOCO Genius G3500 works with more batteries than most chargers. It can handle both lead-acid and Li-ion chemistries with ease. In addition, it has both 6-volt and 12-volt settings. The expanded functionality of the NOCO Genius G3500 makes it suitable for long-term maintenance of stored batteries, as well.
A charging speed of 3.5 amps lets the NOCO Genius G3500 charge many batteries in just a couple of hours—twice as fast as most chargers. Power waste is minimized with the NOCO Genius G3500, too, so it consumes less energy overall.
Batteries can become damaged when they’re depleted too far or left sitting empty for too long. The NOCO Genius G3500 reverses these effects in Repair Mode. Batteries charged with the NOCO Genius G3500 have a longer lifespan and better overall performance.
- Works with both 6-volt and 12-volt batteries
- Compatible with Lithium-ion as well as lead-acid batteries
- Advanced safety protection
- Charges batteries up to 120Ah
- Repair Mode recovers damaged batteries
- Fastest-charging motorcycle battery charger
- Ideal for long-term battery maintenance
- Most expensive option
- Repair feature works only on 12-volt lead-acid batteries
7. Schumacher SC1319 6/12V Battery Maintainer
You get a lot for your money with the Schumacher SC1319 Battery Maintainer. With a low energy drain and smart features, it’s the best motorcycle battery charger for maintaining batteries in long-term storage.
If you’re looking for a battery charger for your garage, the Schumacher SC1319 is a great choice. It’s not as portable as other chargers, to be fair. Having said that, the Schumacher SC1319 functions better as a maintainer than most. You can even use it to recover deeply-discharged batteries.
Every aspect of the Schumacher SC1319 is automated. That’s great news if you don’t want to think about your battery once it’s hooked up. Along with an automatic multi-stage charge, it has voltage detection. Hook it up safely to either 6-volt or 12-volt batteries without a worry.
The Schumacher SC1319 is one of the few battery maintainers to exceed most standards for energy efficiency. This means you’ll use less energy in the long-term, and that saves you money along with helping the environment.
- Exceeds industry standards for efficiency
- Automatic voltage detection
- Includes quick-connect clamps and ring connectors
- Great option for maintaining stored batteries
- Suitable for al lead-acid and deep cycle batteries
- Monitors and maintains batteries effectively
- Indicator lights are a bit tricky to understand
- Bulkier and less portable than other models
8. BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger/Maintainer
The BMK 12-volt Smart Battery Charger was designed with boat batteries in mind. We’ve included it here because it has features off-road motorcyclists will love. This includes a fully-waterproofed casing and a high rate of charge, as well as advanced safety features.
Fast And Powerful Charge
The BMK 12-volt Smart Battery Charger can handle large-capacity batteries without a problem. In fact, it’s recommended for batteries rated between 15Ah and 100Ah. It provides a reliable 5-amp current for 12-volt batteries in all applications.
A waterproof casing isn’t just helpful for boaters. It’s also great for charging up off-roading vehicles or maintaining batteries in spaces that aren’t weatherproofed. The durable ABS casing of the BMK 12-volt Smart Battery Charger also resists damage and cracks.
Diagnosis And Repair
The BMK Smart Battery Charger tells you if the battery is defective. It can also recover dead batteries other chargers won’t revive. The Pulse Charging feature maintains batteries while keeping the energy use low.
- Fully waterproof for outdoor use
- Fast rate of charge
- Can efficiently charge even large capacity batteries
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to read indications of bad battery and charge status
- 5-layer protection against shorts and overcharges
- Not intended for use with smaller batteries (15Ah or less)
- Can get very hot, especially when charging larger batteries
9. NOCO Genius2 6v/12v Battery Charger
The NOCO Genius2 is the best motorcycle battery charger for those who live in extreme climates. It has the power and features to charge most batteries quickly and easily, and in any conditions.
The NOCO Genius2 is the jack of all trades for the motorcycle battery charging world. You can charge both 6-volt and 12-volt batteries safely with the NOCO Genius2. Plus it supports Li-ion and lead-acid batteries, so it works with all styles of motorcycle.
The thermal sensor built into the NOCO Genius2 detects the ambient temperature and adjusts accordingly. As a result, you don’t have to worry about accidental overcharges in hot weather.
Restore Dead Batteries
The NOCO Genius2 diagnoses and reverses common battery problems like acid stratification and sulphation. Even completely drained batteries aren’t beyond the NOCO Genius2’s abilities. It includes NOCO’s new Force Mode feature, which even charges batteries with zero volts of charge.
- Works on Li-Ion and Lead-acid batteries
- Compatible with both 6-volt and 12-volt batteries
- Best choice for use in extreme conditions
- Force Mode lets you charge completely depleted batteries
- Diagnoses and corrects common battery problems
- Fully automatic plug-in operation
- Comes with convenient mounting bracket
- Higher cost
- Not as effective on batteries over 40Ah
10. LST Trickle Battery Charger Automatic Maintainer
Finally, the LST Trickle Battery Charger is the best motorcycle battery charger for maintaining batteries you don’t use often. While it’s not the fastest or most powerful charger, it gets the job done safely at a reasonable price.
The LST Trickle Charger goes further than the 4-step charge offered by other chargers. It begins by evaluating the battery’s status, adjusting accordingly for the most efficient charge every time.
The easy to read interface of the LST Trickle Battery Charger gives you a visual assessment of your battery’s status. You’ll know exactly when and why any issues arise. This is great for getting a complete picture of your battery’s health.
The array of safety features on the LST Trickle Charger includes spark-proof connections and protection against over-voltage, overheating, and short-circuits. It’s also resistant to damage from dust or water, so you can count on it in any situation.
- Durable casing resists water and dust
- Automatic 5-stage charging
- Provides diagnostic feedback
- Very portable design
- Charges even fully-drained batteries
- Easy to hook up and remove
- Only charges batteries up to 40Ah (maintains up to 60Ah)
- No battery restoration features
How To Fix the Battery
Lead-acid batteries lose maximum capacity over time due to a process known as sulphation. The energy inside a battery is produced when an electrolyte solution reacts with lead plates (hence the name “lead acid”).
This reaction produces energy, but it also creates lead sulfate crystals as a waste product. This sulfate accumulates on the plates as the battery discharges. Charging the battery breaks down the crystals, but some lead sulfate often gets left behind. Over time, this build-up reduces the total energy the plates can store.
Desulphation targets these leftover crystals with a pulsating current. The current strips the lead sulfur crystals from the plate and re-integrates them into the electrolyte mix. While all batteries do eventually wear out, desulphation greatly extends the lifespan of a battery.
Can I Use A Motorcycle Battery Charger On A Car?
In some cases, yes. It really just depends on what capacity the charger can handle. A standard car battery has a capacity of about 45Ah (amp hours). Ideally, you want a charger that provides at least 3.5 amps of charging current for a battery of that size. Smaller chargers can still work to maintain a car battery, but it will take a very long time to charge them (and may not be successful).
The first step to buying the best motorcycle battery charger is knowing what you’re looking for. Start by identifying what size and style of battery you need to charge. From there, it’s a matter of determining how much you want to spend and what extra features you need.
In our opinion, the NOCO Genius2 is the best charger specifically for motorcycle batteries. It has very useful battery restoration features, and it’s versatile, too. While it’s not the most powerful model, it has the right current for the typical motorcycle battery. No matter what you’re looking for in a motorcycle battery charger, you’ll find it with one of the models above. Best of luck finding the right charger for your ride!