You’re looking for an affordable OBD2 Scan Tools? Then you’ve landed on the right page.
In this article, I’m going to review the 7 Best Cheap OBD2 Scanners 2018.
Don’t have enough time to read the whole article?
Don’t worry!! I’ve picked out the best choice for you right here:
>>Our best choice: BAFX Bluetooth for Android: Check Price at Amazon.com
>>Best compatibility: KOBRA for iOS, Android & Windows: Check Price at Amazon.com
Love to read more? Just scroll down!!
First, Let’s have a look at the comparison chart below about the 3 best OBD2 scanners listed above.
Best cheap OBD2 Scanners Picks: A Comparison chart
The Kobra OBD 2 is a must buy for those who love efficiency and diversity.
Work on all OBDII vehicles model 1996 and newer, include J1850 and CAN protocols. This is a very popular Bluetooth scanner for good reasons.
An all round OBD 2 scanner that works on all vehicles sold at an incredible price.
The device software may not be working with the various Apps as it states on the package
It works only with third party apps making its use at times cumbersome. It would work better with torque.
The device does not sustain the Bluetooth connectivity on the phone.
This is built for anyone with iOS, Android or Window device
The fact that it is accurate makes it an ideal tool for those who wish to carry out complete scan and repairs on the vehicles.
It is a simple product that comes with a free torque Lite App for pairing.
Cheap OBD2 Scanner: Detailed reviews
Purchasing OBD2 scanners in the market is no mean feat. Information about some of the cheap obd2 scanners at times lacks on many of the sites. While that may be so, many scanners claiming to be cheap, yet that may not be so. The reality is, they may not be that cheap as they have other hidden charges.
Below are some of the truly cheap OBD2 scanners we collected for your perusal;
1/ BAFX Products 34T5 Bluetooth OBDII Cheap Scan Tool
When it comes to reliability, BAFX has in some ways stood out. Made to work with vehicles made in 1996 and newer, it is one of the OBD2 scanners for the US automotive market. One thing stands out; it’s pairing with the phone and tablet that has endeared it to clients that love the easy things of life.
Though the tool may not be an ideal implement if you are on Android, its ability to work on some of the primary elements still makes it stand out. For instance, it can read the check engine light as well as ensure that the various sensor readings also appear for your consumption.
But the main center of attraction remains its features. A bluetooth scanner with an embedded end of transmission (EOT) codes, speed fuel trim readings and the ability to turn off the MIL, its use in the market is never in doubt.
There are some of the right sides of this OBD2 scanner that we have tried to check for our readers;
- Great design – the scanner is made to last from its design. Additionally, it’s easy to connect with the other devices on your car as well.
- Comprehensive user interface – given its capacity to work with cars made 1996 and newer in the United States, you can count on it. It is for this reason that the scanner is considered one of the most reliable tools to have around you.
- Accuracy-The scanner is accurate with the capacity to give the user more data.
Some of the weaknesses of the scanner include;
- It works only with third-party apps making its use at times cumbersome. It would work better with torque.
- Though it works only on Bluetooth, its nonsupport of the iOS platform weakens its coverage.
- The fact that it is accurate makes it an ideal tool for those who wish to carry out complete scan and repairs on the vehicles.
2/ Panlong Bluetooth: an affordable Scan tool
You need to have a tool that will save the situation wherever you are. Getting such a device may require in-depth research, which you have no luxury. One of the best companions would be the Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner.
With the ability to support a broad range of the OBD 2 protocols including the 1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO15765-4 (CAN-BUS), you will have not only a full coverage based on cars but also the ability to check, clear and turn of the IL.
- A wide range of use– the scanner can be used in all manner of car diagnostics. Its ability to scan on many car types is also not in doubt.
- Fast– the real-time data gauges on the OBD2 scanner allows for quick data transmission and relay. In the process, it not only saves on the cost but prolongs your car life.
- Reliable- the scanner can be relied on to deliver if you need a quick scan. With all the other Apps available, it pairs fast and allows for all the other parameters of your car to be examined in real time.
- Bluetooth connectivity problem– it may not connect with Bluetooth, thus slowing down the scanning process.
- You may save money with the device, but it may not work well with those who want an exclusive Bluetooth device.
3/ KOBRA Wireless: a Cheap Scan Tool
Many would be looking for efficiency without knowing where to find it. The Kobra scanner is a smirk of an efficient tool that boasts of quality as well. Its ability to connect to various 3rd party Apps makes its use quite comfortable.
On the other hand, its ability to work on the several interfaces of apple, android, and even window devices brings the ease of its use to the fore. However, this device works with an internet connection which is in stark contrast to the other Bluetooth devices.
Some reasons why using the OBD2 scanner would suit you include;
- The design– the KOBRA Wireless OBD2 Car Code Reader, meets the taste and needs of its users. On that note, it can last for long.
- Cost efficiency-The device is both costs effective at purchase and use.
- Ease of use– though it is not a plug and play device, it’s easy to connect as long as you have the desired Apps.
- Software trouble – the device may not be working with the various Apps as it states on the package. Most of the free Apps do not function with it, and you have to buy to be able to connect.
- The Kobra OBD 2 is a must buy for those who love efficiency and diversity.
4/ OXGORD MS309 (CAN): An affordable Scan Tool
Though the difference could be scanty, OXGORD MS309, a CAN OBDII Code Reader, has cut a niche for itself among the cheap OBD2 scanners. For instance, take the two button LCD screen that allows the user to access all the data codes n real time.
With the reader, one can not only read the codes but also have the chance to fix the trouble codes as well. With a 16-pin-cable connector, this can be termed as a plug and play device, the more reason for its cost-effectiveness.
- Efficiency- with this affordable scanner, one can be able to plug, read and delete the error codes.
- Cost effective- having the reader cuts on mechanic cost yet it is also quite cheap.
- Ease of use- because of its coverage and ease of plugging in, the reader is a worthy companion at any given moment.
Limited scope – just like most affordable scan tools, this only helps in reading, clearing of error codes as well as turning off the check engine light.
In spite of its low-cost, this cheap scanner may serve only in situations of simple scanning with no other options to the solutions.
5/ Oxgord MS300: a Cheap OBD2 Scanner
For those who have believed in the universality of everything, here is something that can be of interest. The OBD2 code reader has the capacity to read and remove both generic and manufacturer-specific codes work as the bridge for those who believe in the various (DIY) strategies.
With an LCD screen display and an accompanying OBD 11 16 pin connector, this tool allows you to not only cut on the mechanic cost but also demystify the issues to do with car repair. You can have access to over 3000 codes on the screen with each reading showing the capacity and scope of the scanner.
- Value for money– buying this tool will be a good purchase decision as it saves you money at purchase and mechanic costs.
- Convenience– the tool is easy to use and suitable for those driving long distances.
- Code challenge– it reads but may not erase error codes.
- Though the device has difficulties reading data on some vehicles, it may still be a good companion if you need a device for reading codes.
6/ Veepeak: a Cheap OBD2 Scanner
It can be interesting getting to read the trouble codes. But what if you got the meanings of the codes as well? That is the role of the Veepeak OBD2 Scanner. Its ability to work with all cars both domestic and imported makes it a must-buy if you own those out of the range cars.
The ability of the scanner to support many of the known OBD 2 protocols can be attested by its ability to; support both generic and manufacturer specific codes. Give the MIL status. Provide a safe computer communication with the engine. Operate without the backing of any other device.
- Accuracy– the level at which the tool works indicates where the problem is. In turn, there is no more need for trial and error.
- Efficiency– this is a scanner that can make the check engine light in record time without coming back.
- Cost-effectiveness– cut the mechanic and the overall purchase costs by using this OBD 2 scan tool.
- Pairing troubles– the device may take longer to pair with the car computer engine.
It is a device for those who work with various vehicles. A must buy for mechanics.
7/ Wsiiroon Bluetooth: a Cheap OBD2 Scanner
While some of the available scanners may not be supportive of the iOS, the Wsiiroon Bluetooth OBD II Scanner does. Also, the wide range of apps ranging from the torque, OBD auto doctor, Geek OBD-vicar all work on the tool.
However, with the use of Bluetooth becoming popular, the fact that the device allows for long-range connectivity makes it an ideal candidate for any modern driver. Its delight comes with the ability to read, translate and display all the code meanings as it supports various protocols.
- Convenience – this OBD 2 scanner is plug and play and only needs the user to establish Bluetooth connectivity, download the user App and start using it.
- Cost efficiency– the tool is the actual face of a typical OBD scan as it requires a purchase of no additional Apps yet it’s cheap as well.
- Great design– the device is well-designed while it is also stronger making it last for long.
- The trouble with Bluetooth– being Bluetooth based, it may not pair up as expected in some instances.
It is an ideal scanner for those who love the ease of connectivity at no extra cost.
>>Our best choice: BAFX Bluetooth Scanner for Android: Check Price at Amazon
>>Best compatibility: KOBRA for iOS, Android & Windows: Check Price at Amazon
Buying Guide for Cheap OBD2 Scanner 2017
Setting out to buy any of the cheap OBD II scanners in the market can at times prove an uphill task. While we may have the information that we need, we still grapple with the choice among the many devices we have at our disposal.
There are some factors that one may have to consider while making any purchase of the cheap scan tools in the market for their automotive use. Some of these, we will explore in the short buying guide.
Things to consider
The things to consider before buying a cheap OBDII scanner may include the following;
Do you want a Scanner or reader?
At times, the consideration of whether we need a scanner or reader gets swept under the carpet. The reason for this is that many of the OBD 2 users do not have knowledge on the difference between the two.
The OBD scanners are an advanced form of the original scan readers in the market. Most of the OBD 2 readers have a lesser scope and may be useful for personal use with no need for analytical code meaning.
The type of vehicle
As it is evident, some tools may not work with all the cars. Buying an OBD 2 scanner that has limited scope may work to the detriment of the user. You may need purchase a tool that covers as many vehicle types as possible.
This point calls on the device scope. There are some of the devices that may not scan all the areas you require on your car.
A good scan tool needs to not only have an attractive design but also have the compactness to last longer. However, what is desirable is the ease of use of the OBD2 scanner that you buy.
The cost of the device
Though the various tools in this category may be cheap, the consideration of your pocket is still desirable. An OBD2 scanner that drastically cuts on the mechanic cost may be beneficial in the long run.
Looking for the most appropriate OBD 2 scanner in the market to buy has proven hard nut in many instances. We can tell you to buy because we have taken time to research on the top range of cheap OBD2 scanners.
Your comfort is our concern; purchase any of the recommended products.